Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon 16x50

tico

Hi Tico,

I haven't used Nikon's myself, but in the more usual sizes like 10x50 they do get good reviews and would I think be ideal for Astro use.

The 16x50s would in my opinion need to be monopod or tripod mounted otherwise they would be too unsteady. At that magnification the field would be smaller too, so you really would need a mount to get the best possible views.

I had a pair of Pentax 12x50s and found the same with them.

I'd expect the optical performance to be pretty good.

Dave

Tico, I have used Nikon's before and have been pleased with their optics.  On a pair of 50mm I have always found x7 and x10 to work best for Astro use as at those mags you can easily use them hand held .  As mentioned above, any higher and you really will need to mount them to really appreciate the views.  There is an Aculon 10x50 available.  For the same sort of money I highly recommend the Olympus 10x50s.  

Let us know how you get on...

i have the action ex 8x40 and 12x50 and they are superb but for astronomical use i have them mounted as i cant hold them steady enough handheld

the optics are superb imho

if you do go for the action ex 16x50 i dont think they will dissapoint they are nitrogen purged and waterproof to 1m for 5 minutes

next to my Helios Appollo 22x85 the 12x50 are my most used bin

Archived