Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seagull Nebula - 4 panel mosaic WIP to HOORGB- HaRGB currently

Barry-Wilson

Dear All

Just a quick update after everyone's fine comments today . . . we have been labouring over a 4 panel mosaic of the Seagull Nebula for some weeks now, dataset currently standing at about 28 hours.  This is an absolutely stunning target that I have hankered over imaging for some years.  Even for the southerly latitude of e-EyE, it is still at a low altitude (less than 40-odd degrees), so not easy to image, and presents a short window of a few hours.  We have some Ha and RGB data, but fortunatley enough for a WIP stab at this target to show its potential.  This is taken with our Tak FSQ106/QSI683 rig at 2.1"/px.

We are planning to gather OIII for a full HOORGB image but I am certain that won't be finished until next year.  There are 2 panels below this current mosaic for which we have zero data . . .

Anyway enjoy . . .

1046454752_SeagullNebulaHaRGB_BendEnh.thumb.jpg.15a5a8420188022890496f8f00d15e81.jpg

This goes a considerable way under the panes you have here so another 'layer' underneath will look fab..... I tried this last year, but as you say, even in Spain it's low and difficult at the best of times.

On 07/03/2019 at 20:12, x6gas said:

Wowsers Barry, that's absolutely stunning.  Just beautiful.

Thank you. I’ve long felt that this target has an irresistible allure.

On 07/03/2019 at 20:14, swag72 said:

This goes a considerable way under the panes you have here so another 'layer' underneath will look fab..... I tried this last year, but as you say, even in Spain it's low and difficult at the best of times.

Thanks for the confirmation Sara. I thought that would be the case . . . Definitely a task for next year’s schedule. I was also quite relieved to see that the RGB did not get overly affected by low altitude refraction and star flares.

good to hear from you ?

Gorgeous. I did this with Steve and Mrs G in the dual rig a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. You've given it a gentler look which is very appealing.

Alas our seagull has a slightly clipped wing, something I've been meaning to remedy with another panel but we are still further north and the dual rig is down to a single for the moment.

Best of luck for the continuation.

Olly

1 hour ago, x6gas said:

It should be called the phoenix nebula in my opinion - looks just like a fiery phoenix rising from the ashes to me.

May I ask what length of subs you were shooting Barry?

Sorry, I have been so busy I haven’t posted up details as normal.

We’ve found 600s RGB and Lum subs to be a good balance of SNR and bloat along with 1200s for NB. We have just used 1200s for Lum on a deep M81/82 IFN hunt on the Tak: I think Steve is finishing processing that now as I type (45 x 1200s of Lum ?).

We have set a standard RGB dataset goal of 24 x 600s for each channel as this really does enhance the data with a vibrant sumptuous colour. You can of course achieve a super image with less however a rich depth is added to an image’s foundation if you are able to gather more.

For NB I find that the 50% extra number of subs collected at 1200s vs 1800s helps smoothness of the integrated stack without any discernible loss of fine scale details.

HTH.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Gorgeous. I did this with Steve and Mrs G in the dual rig a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. You've given it a gentler look which is very appealing.

Alas our seagull has a slightly clipped wing, something I've been meaning to remedy with another panel but we are still further north and the dual rig is down to a single for the moment.

Best of luck for the continuation.

Olly

Much appreciated Olly. Your Seagull/Parrot images with Mr & Mrs G have been the inspiration & admiration that has fuelled the drive to persevere with this target. We had been wondering whether the lower two panels were worth the effort but Sara’s comments are encouraging & a high res image of this ‘phoenix’ rising surrounded by a wide colourful star field will be a delight.

30 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Sorry, I have been so busy I haven’t posted up details as normal.

We’ve found 600s RGB and Lum subs to be a good balance of SNR and bloat along with 1200s for NB. We have just used 1200s for Lum on a deep M81/82 IFN hunt on the Tak: I think Steve is finishing processing that now as I type (45 x 1200s of Lum ?).

We have set a standard RGB dataset goal of 24 x 600s for each channel as this really does enhance the data with a vibrant sumptuous colour. You can of course achieve a super image with less however a rich depth is added to an image’s foundation if you are able to gather more.

For NB I find that the 50% extra number of subs collected at 1200s vs 1800s helps smoothness of the integrated stack without any discernible loss of fine scale details.

HTH.

Many thanks, Barry, and it does indeed help.  It certainly does allow for vibrant and sumptuous colours, as you say - your star fields are simply gorgeous, but don't detract from the nebula - though I am sure that has a great deal to do with the skill and deftness of your processing and isn't just the data...

Archived