Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why the Delay ? Answered.

barkis

Whoops, A link to a video failed, I will try to correct it.

Here we go now.    
                               There are a number of videos covering this  project, so  many members  will 
                               already have seen something similar, If not this particular one.
                               Ron.

31 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

I haven't seen this video Ron. Thanks for sharing......Dave

You're very welcome.  I suppose delay was always lnevitable, in view of the huge complexity of this massive instrument. Another two or three years is mentioned.

A long wait ?

"Whilst spectroscopic technology is not new, the ability to see upto 100 objects at the same time is" [7:10].
I have it in the back of my mind that someone used a different technique to achieve this in the 1990s while searching for supernovae (which led to the discovery that the universe is accelerating). It used tiny optical fibres that could be precisely placed to pick up the light from large numbers of individual galaxies on a single frame ... Horizon or S@N programme probably ... ring any bells with anyone else?

Archived