M51

Brian28

This is my first image using my QHY163C. .. and new mount .. processed with DSS,PS and LR . 

Its OK but lacking in the detail I like to see on shots others have taken .. 

Total integration time , 3 hrs 41mins of 180 sec subs . 

M51 3hrs 41 min Jpeg.jpg

20 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

lacking in the detail I like to see on shots others have taken

First question would be how long is the total integration time? Also, it is reported that colour cameras will not show as much detail as an equivalent LRGB mono setup (personally I am not convinced of that, but ...)

Hi Brian 

I'm not sure how you processed the image but if you want to extract the maximum detail from a colour camera then I'd suggest you process the Lum and RGB data separately. You can extract the Lum info very easily in Pixinsight (or PS). You then apply all the detail enhancement routines (deconvolution, sharpening, contrast enhancement) to the Lum data only.  With the RGB data just make sure you get a good colour balance before you stretch it by running Pixinsights Photometric Colour Calibration tool.  You then blend the Lum and RGB data back together again using the so called LLRGB approach - have a look at Scott Rosen's video on how to achieve this - http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Alan

6 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Hi Brian 

I'm not sure how you processed the image but if you want to extract the maximum detail from a colour camera then I'd suggest you process the Lum and RGB data separately. You can extract the Lum info very easily in Pixinsight (or PS). You then apply all the detail enhancement routines (deconvolution, sharpening, contrast enhancement) to the Lum data only.  With the RGB data just make sure you get a good colour balance before you stretch it by running Pixinsights Photometric Colour Calibration tool.  You then blend the Lum and RGB data back together again using the so called LLRGB approach - have a look at Scott Rosen's video on how to achieve this - http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Alan

Thanks for the tip Alan .. would that be a processing method I could apply to all my shots ? 

A wonderful target and your data looks good with nice round stars... you've clearly got that CEM60 working well already.

I shoot mono so can't offer any suggestions over and above what Alan has advised (also I haven't made the step to PI yet) but there is a lot of colour to be dragged out of this target and I believe separating the channels will allow you to do that and bring in some selective sharpening without too much noise...

Archived