NGC2903 - first light with the Mesu

gorann

Finally yesterday I got it all together. So after a lot of software downloads and settings, and some driling and threading, the Mesu moved from the livingroom table to the pier. My great worries of moving from the EQ8 handset to a computer controlled mount was less stressful that I imagined and just after midnight I had enough confidence in what I was doing to start imaging. The sky was dark (SQM 21.4) but I still did not get good guiding (around 1") and it was quite variable, so I think (hope) seeing was causing this, but it could also be that I had not configured PHD2 correctly. I may get a chance to play with that tonight.

In any case, here is the first light. 3.5 hours (42 x 5 min) with the ASI071 MCpro on the Esprit 150, and a Mesu 200.

Comments and suggestions most welcome (especially regarding PHD2 guiding pitfalls with the Mesu)

20190227_152117_resized.jpg

20190227_161536_resized.jpg

20190228 NGC2903 RGB PS47smallSign.jpg

Hi Goran,

Well done on getting it all up and running and capturing a marvellous first light.  Being no expert on this stuff I've been playing around with PHD settings trying to work out what's best,  currently using 3 or 4 second exposures, RA aggressiveness 70% Hysteresis 30% minmo 0.2, Dec Resist switch, minmo 0.2 and 100% aggression.  Seems to work ok..  0.5"rms on a low altitude and 0.3" rms when overhead, certainly good enough for the 1.2"pp I'm imaging at.  Seems sensitive to balance and cable management which I keep tweaking,  at one point the corrections on both RA and Dec were all one way, adjusting balance corrected this and guiding improved.   Be interesting to see what other Mesu/PHD users are using.   Somewhat envious of your SQM.

Dave

3 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Goran,

Well done on getting it all up and running and capturing a marvellous first light.  Being no expert on this stuff I've been playing around with PHD settings trying to work out what's best,  currently using 3 or 4 second exposures, RA aggressiveness 70% Hysteresis 30% minmo 0.2, Dec Resist switch, minmo 0.2 and 100% aggression.  Seems to work ok..  0.5"rms on a low altitude and 0.3" rms when overhead, certainly good enough for the 1.2"pp I'm imaging at.  Seems sensitive to balance and cable management which I keep tweaking,  at one point the corrections on both RA and Dec were all one way, adjusting balance corrected this and guiding improved.   Be interesting to see what other Mesu/PHD users are using.   Somewhat envious of your SQM.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

And for the useful info that I will try out next time it clears - unfortunately it did not tonight....

Great 1st light Göran. Guiding rms was probably due to atmospheric conditions. I had a gap in the clouds yesterday, and guiding rms kept well below 1", with a dip down to 0.66". Half the value of what I managed two days before. Star rms in the subs was also about half (with a skywatcher BK MN190 DS on AZEQ6, not a Mesu). I used similar phd parameters as Dave suggested, so that seems a good starting point.

I have the handset Mesu of old (two of them - love them!) because I'm not a fan of running anything via PC which can be run any other way (eg by a well trained dog...:icon_mrgreen:) I don't suppose my PHD parameters will be any good to you but your first image looks great.

I have never found my Mesus to be sensitive to balance, which is handy because, without clutches, it isn't easy to find perfect balance. I just do it by feel but have never ever had a problem.

Olly

Worked a bit more on the image and made a crop after having a separate thread here on how to crop:

and presently concluding that a galaxy does not have to be in the centre of an image

20190228 NGC2903 RGB PS53smallSign.jpg

On 07/03/2019 at 19:03, Barry-Wilson said:

Well done Goran, top notch first light ?

I am looking forward to seeing images for your new setup . . very exciting for you ?

Thanks Barry!

Yes, I am slowly getting to grips with the Mesu. I just wish there were more clear nights - as it has been lately the learning curve is now slow rather than steep.

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Well done on your new installation and first light, Göran this is a great start!

Thanks a lot Steve! Would not have happened without your excellent manual. It made it work at the first try - and I have never run a mount from a computer before. Had another lucky two hours yesterday. Now I just need more clear skies (as everyone up here in northern Europe):

7 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Congratulations on first light.

Your image looks great, I doubt I could add any useful input to what you are already doing Gorann. Well done. Excellent image.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Archived