Think I got the Pup tonight, did anyone else try it?

F15Rules

I have steadier air than for some time here tonight.

Got E & F in the Trap with ease tonight (FS128), so thought I'd try for the Pup..The past few nights I have tried, Sirius has been a wobbly, rainbow coloured mess.  But tonight is much steadier and Sirius looks almost pure white with just a hint of violet and much less wobble.

I think I got a glimpse of the Pup several times but am not totally sure?

Was using a Fujiyama 12.5mm Ortho, barlowed with a WO x1.6 nosepiece and a # 82a filter to give x133. The filter seems to help further reduce glare.. WO 2" dielectric diagonal, so upright image with east to the "right hand side" as I look I into the eyepiece and a line of 5 faint stars to the lower left of the field.

In this view the suspected Sirius B is at approx 4 o'clock position, very close to or on a Sirius diffraction ring.

Can anyone validate this from viewing this evening?

Dave ☺

Just got a lovely split of Theta Aurigae, plenty of clear, black sky between them Morpheus 9mm with x1.6 Barlow (x185), just gorgeous ?.

Have to go in now, work early tomorrow, but a lovely 90mins with a more cooperative sky tonight.

Clear skies to you all from rural Lincolnshire?.

I'm viewing Sirus with my 12 inch dob right now Dave. The Pup star is visible at 220x - 265x. The 7mm Pentax XW shows it most clearly at the moment although it's not constantly visible even then - it shows for a few seconds during stable moments. With the newtonian view the Pup is about where I've sketched it the other night, although not as clear as my sketch. This is the view I had back on the 18th Feb with the dobsonian at 318x. I've just checked again (through the scope) and I think the orientation is about right for the Pup position - it's following Sirius as it drifts across the field of view. The other stars I've sketched are fainter than the sketch implies as well.

I have caught the Pup with my TMB/LZOS 130 but not, so far, with my ED120. I think it's quite probable that it's within the grasp of your FS 128 but I think a bit more magnification might make it clearer ?

sirius180219.jpg

Thanks John. I think your sketch confirms my sighting given that your Newt inverts the image with South at the top, which the Tak doesn't..   

I can't get any higher than x185 at the moment  and at that it's more unsteady. I think the Ortho was giving the most glare free view tonight. I must get a 5mm or 7mm again soon.

Just great to be out..This day last year we had snow and the Beast from the East!!

Off in now, enjoy!

Dave

Could be the last clear night for a while as well so got to make the most of it !

I've just been out again to catch the "Dog and Pup" stars before they go behind the house. Not a bad night for "pupping" (hope thats not rude !) :embarassed:

Transparency is not good here though so I dont think I'll get far on the Leo galaxies, unless it improves later.

I tried it the other night, started with Rigel to guage the correct distance, then tried the pup, looking to the East side as it trailed out of the FOV, but was unsuccessful with the C8 @200x (or the Tal100RS @ 200x although I wasn't expecting it to). Not surprising really, as I couldn't even see the F component of the Trapezium although the E was very clear. I didn't feel the C8 was a good scope to try and get this anyway with its 'hairy' stars at high powers! :) Well done Dave for even getting a hint of a glimpse.

I was observing as the stars came out against a darkening sky, and had a great time with various binaries. The Trapezium and the E & F stars were very easy tonight as the air was so stable and transparency was initially good. It didnt occur to me initially to look for the pup, but after reading this thread I rushed out again to see if I could see it. Sadly, I was unsuccessful tonight. The dog star was moving rapidly towards the high tree line to my south west, and the scope had warmed up somewhat after being brought back into the house from earlier. Although the image settled down rapidly, by the time the dancing image had stopped boiling, Sirius was tickling the tree tops and the diffraction pattern was becoming distorted due to the branches. It's a shame I didn't try earlier as I may have stood a better chance, but never mind, it was fun trying!

With my mount just back from its overhaul and upgrade I was able to use the 5" F15 this evening, for the first time since October last. I too went straight for the Trapezium and at  159x got E &F fairly steadily. A look at Rigel, a very easy split, and then over to Sirius. I expected to see the 'pup' but once again, just fleeting glimpses, such that I was not sure. I probably should have increased the magnification, so I think I missed a good chance, but I needed to get on with polar alignment and then star alignment. I could not resist however a good look at M45 and the Double cluster, both of which rewarded me with pin sharp points of starlight, across the entire FOV !

7 hours ago, RobertI said:

What scope were you using Mike?

Hi Robert.   I was using a Tak FC100DC and a 12.5mm Ultima eyepiece and 2X Ultima barlow, (which amplifies 2.25X), so around 133X. But the E & F stars were still easily visible just using the 12.5mm Ultima eyepiece without the barlow, at 59X. My 18mm Ultima as well as my 16mm Nagler both revealed E & F but F, though visible, was struggling to get noticed at this lower power of 41X & 46X respectively. I think the increased image scale at 59X & 133X helped to separate F from the glare of C. I believe both E & F are 11th magnitude, but you wouldn't think they were the same given the difficulty often experienced with F.

No joy with either the “ e or f” for me ..... however the a - d “ stars were absolutely pin point and I could park a bus in the span !! I was using the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom, so between 125 and 250 X mag, and the TAK DF ... a bit of a mystery as to why I can never see them.

Archived