Bringing Planets Closer

J0E

Hello everyone

Please be kind I am new to your world...I have a Skywatcher 10" 250p scope and have the standard eyepieces that come with it........Is it possible to purchase an eyepiece 1.25" or 2" that will allow me to observe the other planets (bring them closer) with an additional eyepiece purchase if so which do you suggest (links would be appreciated if possible) at the moment Mars and the other planets are just a mere dot in my scope view with the standard eyepieces and just look like a flickering star like all other stars, I would like to see other planets as clear as we can see our moon and distinguish a planet clearly from a star....is this possible? I am aware the better and correct equipment has a price to it but I much appreciate any guidance anyone can offer then I can make an informed decision with your help...Thank you everyone

J0E

Welcome.

In addition to the above have a look at the topic titled ‘What can I expect to see’ in the Getting Started With Observing forum. Sorry, I don’t know how to link it. I fear you may be expecting a little too much; you won’t see anything like the pictures in magazines. ☹️

But have fun with the hobby, your scope and the forum. ?

Hi Joe,

Mars is very tiny at the moment and very high powers are needed to create a large enough image scale for any meaningful detail to be seen. It will be some time yet before it is high in our sky again, but rest assured, your telescope will show it well. When the planet's are low in the Sky, the thickens of the earths atmosphere at such a low angle can disturb the planetary detail, and even the best eyepieces will struggle to form an acceptable image. When high in the sky and when the atmosphere is reasonably steady,  most modern eyepieces will give a good planetary image, so you won't need to spend a fortune to get good views. It is nice to have a range of good eyepieces though, but collecting them can become addictive! £££££

I've had some great planetary views with my 250px- when conditions are right (planets well positioned- they are pretty low at the moment; with steady seeing - I keep an eye on the jetstream forecast; and with a well cooled scope - I give my 250px about 45mins typically).  It is also important not to view over near roof tops to avoid heat plumes.

The 10mm that came with the scope is pretty poor, tbh.  The 25mm is ok.   I used a 7mm 82° EP for planets, and also a 13mm 82° EP barlowed by 2.5x.  Some nights the views are rubbish due to the atmosphere,  but when it is steady it can be magical, and persistence pays off.  Astrobaby's guide to collimation really helped me too.

Best of luck, 

Niall

Hi JOE, and a very warm welcome to SGL, the link for the article that Gordon was referring to is:

I very much recommend you read it, better quality eyepieces in the higher magnification range will also help.

Good luck with your exploration of the cosmos!

Joe. Welcome to SGL. Lots of good advice in the earlier responses.

You have a good scope there. With a small spend on eyepieces (but don't rush - take your time) it will be even better.

Enjoy the views and keep asking the questions. Everyone on SGL is happy to help.

David.

Welcome to SGL Joe.

Very fine and capable telescope. All the advice you need has already been offered, but particularly, David's advice above is good advice. Don't rush , and you don't need to spend a fortune... at least, not initially !:grin:

Archived