SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3D printer - Piezo Z probing

Gina

This my homez.g. If you are using an older version of Reprap Firmware change the H2 in the G1 Z5 command to S2.

; homez.g
; called to home the Z axis
;
; generated by RepRapFirmware Configuration Tool on Thu Dec 28 2017 14:34:20 GMT+0000 (GMT)
;

G91                 ; relative positioning
G1 Z5 F600 H2       ; lift Z relative to current position
G90                 ; absolute positioning
G1 X150 Y145 F15600 ; go to centre of bed
G30                 ; home Z by probing the bed

; Uncomment the following lines to lift Z after probing
G91                 ; relative positioning
G1 Z3 F600          ; lift Z relative to current position
G90                 ; absolute positioning

• Thanks 1

After a lot of testing and adjusting of the sensitivity, it's working! ?  Produced my first print since removing the inductive Z probe and relying on the Precision Piezo and the print is fine.  Now I shall be able to convert my other printers which will be especially helpful when changing hotends - yes, the bigger printers have interchangeable hotends.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I can't expect anything to be simple!  Needs more poke from the nozzle and/or less from elsewhere.  I have the sensitivity pot turned up quite high so it seems the vibration from the X drive could be the problem.  That may improve when I rebuild in a nice rigid plywood box. 

Edited by Gina

I replaced the tiny wires to the sensor with a pair of wires from a ribbon cable. Much more robust and easier to crimp. Be careful soldering to the piezo - too much heat and the piezo material just disintegrates. Also pays to have a few spares. You could use undrilled ones if you dont have the filament going through the centre.

• Like 1

Yes, I think I'll order some extra sensors when I order next.  I plan to upgrade both my Concorde and Giant printers with piezo sensors.  And yes, I was thinking I might as well get undrilled ones.  I managed with crimping the tiny wires alright as it happens.  I have a use for two of the now redundant inductive proximity sensors - endstops/limit sensors for automating my roll-off-roof.

Been looking at the X carriage of my Concorde printer.  I seem to have made this so rigid that I can't find any flexibility in it.  When I push up hard on the hotend the whole X carriage seems to rotate very slightly and I 'm finding it very difficult to find where this minimal flexing is occurring.  I thought at first it was in the Y carriages but I couldn't detect any movement.  I think the flexing must be in the X rail extrusion.  This is pressing with a force of about a lb.  I'm not saying that using a piezo sensor won't work - they are so sensitive that an imperceptible movement will trigger them.  Once I get the second set of parts I can try some experiments.

I have the sensor set up on the Concorde between underside of extruder motor at the back and the top of the back X carriage plate.  This was triggering just the opposite of what's required - triggering as the print bed is raised towards the nozzle but not triggering on contact - so I reversed the sensor connections and it worked.  I guess the motor/extruder/hotend combo is being lifted when the nozzle contacts the bed. 

A slight adjustment is wanted as the X carriage is being lifted slightly though noticeably by the bed.

Edited by Gina

Here are photos of the Concorde X carriage.  The extruder motor is sitting on the rear plate.  This is where I put the piezo sensor when I was testing as seen in the 3rd photo.  It might work with an appropriate gap for it but currently it seems the pressure is too much - it doesn't work.  The rear fan is for part cooling.

1430252305_XCarriage05.JPG.d156aad1d162270c9516324e7453ff9c.JPG339079109_XCarriage04.JPG.dd32a7d5cdbf561476fe1043531a92a2.JPG1909589465_XCarriage06.JPG.1347a380729ab31f5865518260d24c2a.JPG

Edited by Gina

I think if I were to make a small hollow if the edge of the rear plate to take the sensor and reduce the height so that it didn't touch the motor, it might work.  The principle would be similar to that in the Mini printer - the nozzle making contact with the bed would produce a slight bend in the front plate and the motor would then compress the sensor.

Edited by Gina

Well, it seemed to work on test with bench PSU and watching LEDs but not when connected to the Duet through the Z probe port.  The vibration from the Z motors always seems to be more than the tap from the nozzle touching the bed.

Would you believe it - the Mini printer piezo probing has stopped working too!!  I've printed several items on the Mini since changing to piezo probing so why should it go wrong now!!??  Must be "out" in sympathy with the Concorde printer!  Looks like I shall have to change the Concorde back to inductive probing as I need a 3D printer for my astro projects - at least the inductive probe and the copper foil sensing pads are still on it.

M558 P8 I1 R0.5 H3 F420 T15600 A5 S0.03   ; P8 = Digital mode (unfiltered), I1 = Active Low, R0.5 = 500mS delay before probing	
                                          ; F420 = 420mm/min probe speed (7mm/sec)
                                          ; T15600 = Travel between probe points at 15600mm/min (260mm/sec)
                                          ; A5 = Max No of touches, S0.03 = Tolerance for multi-touch (mm)
                                          ; H3 = Dive Height 3mm

Thought I'd check something...  My maximum Z speed is 300mm/m = 5mm/s so not as fast as 7mm/s.  Guess that's the problem.

Edited by Gina