Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D printer - Piezo Z probing

Gina

The new piezo probe unit seems very good - big improvement on the separate disc and amplifier board.  Triggers with a light tap on the nozzle but doesn't trigger when moving the bed until the bed touches the nozzle.  Haven't needed to alter the sensitivity setting.

All I can think of is to connect a bench PSU between Gnd and Z-Probe signal line and increase the voltage for zero to +3v and watch the Z-Probe value.  May need to do this while Z homing and if so set the Z speed low to give me time.

Thought I would check the open circuit voltage on the Z probe input pin as with most logic systems the input sits at logic "1" when not connected.  This has proved correct here too.  O/C the pin shows +3.25v on my DMM.  The Z-Probe display shows 0.  Tried pulling the pin low with a 22K resistor and the voltage dropped to 0.55v.  At the same time the Z-Probe read 1000.  So the input is working.

Guess next thing is to dig out an oscilloscope and see what the piezo signal looks like.  I think I have gone as far as I can with the DMM.

Aha!!  It's a V2.  I didn't find that when I scoured their site for info.  I wondered why there were two sets of pins to connect to.  It didn't twig that D was Digital and A was Analogue.  I'll try the other set of pins.  No wonder my oscilloscope trace didn't make sense - I have the Duet connected to the A pins and the oscilloscope to the D pins and only seeing noise.

Tried running Mesh Grid Compensation cold and it was fine though could do with a bit of bed adjustment but when I tried it hot the Z homing was fine but the Mesh Grid Compensation didn't trigger.  May need the trigger threshold turned down a bit to allow for a bit of soft filament on the nozzle.

Edited by Gina
typos

OK, turned the trigger level down a bit and it's now triggering fine with hot bed and nozzle.  Not triggering with XY motion.

I'm thinking of yet another 3D printer build, for which I would like suggestions for a name (like you did before Dave).  The idea is to make an extremely accurate precision printer with the absolute best quality printing.  Better than could be achieved with the very long timing belts of Core-XY by using Cartesian drive.  This will have a solid box construction like the Concorde and trapezoidal screw drive for the Z axis with a 300mm x 300mm print bed.  It could have a name derived from the Concorde or a completely separate name (probably better as it will use some different concepts).  I have a few ideas but thought I would throw it open for suggestions.

Edited by Gina