Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hubble Variable Nebulae (C46)

Was out with the scope this evening and had intended to spend a pleasant few hours on Orion. However, I had my copy of Observing the Caldwell Objects,  by David Ratledge out with me and I got a wee bit side tracked. Ended up spending the evening tracking down the Hubble Variable Nebula.  I'm observing from Belfast with only  a handful of brighter stars visible.  Took a few hours between atlas, binoculars and scope but I think I got it.  Was a bit of a challenge !

15493243530331363912921964771269.jpg

Hi Littleguy80

Thanks !!!

I installed Cartes due Ciel last night to try and confirm my observation.  I could get a match with HD4788 but nothing else, I couldn't find the limiting magnitude adjustment to bring the fainter stars into view.  I reckon they must be around  8 or 9 mag.  The nebula was so faint I brought my EP into the kitchen to ensure it was fully dry to rule out gremlins at my end.  Had I not know  the nebula was there I'd have surely missed it. 

Thanks for your post, really appreciated !!!!!!

8 minutes ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

Hi Littleguy80

Thanks !!!

I installed Cartes due Ciel last night to try and confirm my observation.  I could get a match with HD4788 but nothing else, I couldn't find the limiting magnitude adjustment to bring the fainter stars into view.  I reckon they must be around  8 or 9 mag.  The nebula was so faint I brought my EP into the kitchen to ensure it was fully dry to rule out gremlins at my end.  Had I not know  the nebula was there I'd have surely missed it. 

No problem. I know that feeling of “I think I saw it but did I???”. Sketching is such a great way to get confirmation. 

8 minutes ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

Hi Littleguy80

Thanks !!!

No problem. I know that feeling of “I think I saw it but did I???”. Sketching is such a great way to get confirmation. 

1 hour ago, AstroCiaran123 said:

I installed Cartes due Ciel last night to try and confirm my observation.  I could get a match with HD4788 but nothing else, I couldn't find the limiting magnitude adjustment to bring the fainter stars into view.

From memory, on the icon bar at the top, near the left are red and blue dots - small and large. The large blue dot gives more (fainter) stars, the mall dot reduces the number.

Archived