Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cold comfort

Cyclops

The sky was clear, so I thought I'd get the little scope out and have a skeg at the sky. I knew that Mars was out there somewhere and having confirmed its location with Skyview I got a look at it. At 44x its just an orange star. I switched to the 4mm from my daughter's scope (100x)  but its a terrible optic. It can stay in the bag.

I then turned to Orion, always a favourite. I got the Trapezium, 3 stars out of 4. Again I tried the 4mm; just a blur.

I noticed Sirius 'rising' above the housetops and got a quick look in before turning to Aldebaran in Taurus, a star that presents itself very similar to mars! 

It was soon time to go indoors, plus my hands were now getting very cold (it seemed mild when I came out) and I got a fuzzy view of M31. Tried to focus with the 4mm, just not happening. But at 44x it was like seeing an old friend. Still fuzzy and grey but its the knowledge of what you are looking at. Never gets old. 

Before wrapping up I tried to find that Kemble object near Cassiopeia. I think I got it in binos, tho the stars all looked white. No chance with the scope, its just too far overhead. Plus my fingers were about to drop off and the kids needed seeing to. Overall a good night out!

Nice report Des, I know what you mean about fingers dropping off.
You mention Mars, unfortunately he is well past his best for this apparition.
Have you had a look at some of the great doubles in Orion?
Good luck, let's all hope for a run of clear skies>

22 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Nice report Des, I know what you mean about fingers dropping off.
You mention Mars, unfortunately he is well past his best for this apparition.
Have you had a look at some of the great doubles in Orion?
Good luck, let's all hope for a run of clear skies>

Thanks. By the way I'm Larry ?

Archived