Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New telescope woes

DS24

So I just got this 102ar explore Scientific doublet and I was looking through it sweeping the sky's and whatnot and noticed that although the finder scope  views things correct  when viewing through actual telescope through the diagonal everything is flipped and inverted which makes trying to find what you're looking for a bit confusing. I would think such a robust seemingly good quality diagonal that was included would have been somewhat correct at least but I guess that's too much to ask. so I'm wondering is there a 2 inch diagonal that works with refractors that can produce a correct image? I know there are four make telescopes because I have one and I ordered one made by William that will be coming in the mail shortly so it looks like now I need to get one for this telescope because it's just too weird to keep looking at the sky like this and also I noticed that if I swivel my diagonal to the right or the left say I want to get in a better position or get the eyepiece out of the way so I can actually put my head to see through the finderscope if I turn the diagonal at all the entire sky rotates. So what is up with that? so far all this is making for some pretty crazy and confusing views. so could somebody tell me if I leave the eyepiece straight up and down in line of the telescope it will be right behind where the finderscope goes how on Earth am I supposed to look through the finder scope when a big honking eyepieces right there? It looks like I might also need to get that extender that finderscope extender deal so it sounds like I'm going to need to spend at least another $200 just to get this right which I thought should have been taken care of to begin with I feel like it this is very basic stuff that should have been addressed already because it has to do with the basic usage of basic telescoping I think

IMG-20190202-191857.jpg
IMG-20190202-191848.jpg
IMG-20190202-143959.jpg
young one of duck

Different scopes give different orientated views, this is quite normal. Moving a diagonal will also change the rotational angle you are seeing, it is akin to you lying at 90 degrees as apposed to standing upright.

Again, stand in front of a mirror and raisie your left hand, the reflection will appear as if you are raising its right hand.

Remeber you are not looking through a window but 2 mirrors ? you could always observe without any mirrors (straight through) 

I had the same problem. I used to turn the diagonal to be at the right height for my eye but it would rotate the field. It's great that you worked this out quickly. Now I use the diagonal pointed straight up and things are just reversed left and right. It causes no problems for me. It doesn't matter if the image is reversed for observation purposes but if you rotate the diagonal to the left it is confusing when you try to track a star.

As stated above, you can buy a prism rather than mirror diagonal to stop this, but I recommend giving the mirror one a longer try- it doesn't take long to get used to- but try using the diagonal vertically at least at first. 

I'm not qualified to compare the relative quality of prism vs mirror diagonals- maybe somebody could comment on this.

And congratulations on your new scope. I nearly bought it myself- it looks wonderful.

Well I think I found a solution.   Since I have two teles now with finderscope since I had upgraded the cheapo red dot to a nicer right angle illuminated kind on mak I am attempting to just switch finders which will giv me a right angle on my 102ar and fix that issue of not having room to see through the scope and with the straight through scope on my mak it'll be in a fine position to not cause any issues.  If only I can zero them up but so far is looking good and they fit well in each other's mount rings. 

IMG-20190203-034626.jpg
IMG-20190203-034617.jpg
IMG-20190203-034051.jpg

You can get finders that match the view through your scopes eg: left and right reversed but an upright image. My finders give a fully corrected image but my refractors have the left-right reversal because I prefer to use astro type diagonals. I've kind of got used to it over the years.

Archived