Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem fitting Crayford dual speed focuser

Hi guys,bought a dual speed focuser for my Skywatcher startravel 120 , but when i was going to fit it today , it wouldn't fit because it is a little bit to big.

The original one is a tight fit , but the New one is a little bit more than that.

Do you guys have any advice on how to get it in , it is not much bigger , just enough to NOT make it enter.

I could remove some metal , but that would destroy the warranty , and probably woulden't be accurate enough.

I add a Picture of the markings on the Box, but the parts number is correct for my Scope.

50967364_380495229195246_6861774352069689344_n.jpg

I know someone who recently fitted on of those focussers to to a Skywatcher ED120 Pro. He found that it was just too tight to fit so had to sand the paint off the inside of the flange where it fits, back to the metal. Then the focuser fitted.

43 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Um, the box says it's for ED scopes - the Startravel series are achromatic refractors. Maybe someone here has upgraded an st120 focuser, but why bother?

Louise

Well I stand corrected then! Mind you, if I had a ST120 and I wanted to improve the focuser, I'd just fit a SW autofocuser, which is what I did with an ST80 :)

Louise

7 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Um, the box says it's for ED scopes - the Startravel series are achromatic refractors. Maybe someone here has upgraded an st120 focuser, but why bother?

Louise

ED is about the glass i think , only this that is diffrent from a cheaper scope , should fit both. The partsnumber is the correct for my scope. 

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

FLO list the focuser for use with the Startravel 120. Same part number as on ypur box.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-2-crayford-focuser-for-sky-watcher-refractors.html

Yes i know , i wrote that in my first post.

My challenge is to get it fitted whithout destroying the warranty on both the focuser and scope. Will try again tonight ?

2 hours ago, GKA said:

ED is about the glass i think , only this that is diffrent from a cheaper scope , should fit both. The partsnumber is the correct for my scope. 

I did correct myself although, as I said and in my humble opinion, it would seem better (and a lot cheaper) to fit a SW autofocuser to improve the existing r+p. It's a simple device, easy to fit, and gives you fine control over the focus without having to touch the scope.

Louise

Well,  i have looked at them as well? , but i dont think  the wheel will come off easily on mine , and i thougt it would be better for my old eyes with a fine adjustable focuser , then a automatic one.

Hopefully i'am right?

1 hour ago, GKA said:

Well,  i have looked at them as well? , but i dont think  the wheel will come off easily on mine , and i thougt it would be better for my old eyes with a fine adjustable focuser , then a automatic one.

Hopefully i'am right?

Well they aren't really automatic, they just let you adjust the focus via a hand controller. Very basic really :) 

Louise

Edit: they are easy to fit too and just uses a PP3/9v battery https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html
Of course, you've bought the upgraded focuser now but the simple DC motor focuser might interest others

Archived