Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sorry about all this rain....

Tim

but I've been down to see Bern from Modern Astronomy and picked up a little bit of new kit, including some filters, spacers and GSO F4 imaging newt and other bits and bobs. I expect it to rain for weeks.

So firstly, thanks to Bern for all the help. Funny thing, as soon as I walked in, the Mrs, obviously delighted that I had been out for 6 hours buying new kit, asked the most obvious question........

"What was the house like?"

:?

As for the newt, is there a "Collimating a newt for dummies" guide anywhere knocking around? I have a laser collimator, and I set the primary and secondary so that the laser hit the primary dead in the centre of the little ring in the middle, and disappeared from whence it came, couldnt see any crossing of beams etc. Is that enough?

I have also this week gotten the stuff to run eqmod, and usb extensions etc to let me do it from the house, so im about to test that as well, (its just taken 3 hours to rig all the cabling and etc all into place to make the main OTA's hot swappable and leaving all the wiring in place). Just hope it all works now :D

TJ

TJ,

I am certain that we are all waiting your news. Quite a purchase. I do hope that all your wiring is successful.

We have just had a huge rain storm pass over East Glos area.

Hope you can get back to you imaging soon.

John

Thanks for the vid, think i've got it pretty tight then.

Boy these eqmod readme's are a bit gruelling, unless im just still tired from the 260mile round trip. Is there an easy eqmod way?

Also, maxim, or nebulosity, if I wanted to try imaging with my DSI, is there a fast and dirty way into them? Maxim scares the hell out of me, sooo many knobs and whistles, and it doesnt seem to like my DSI either, wont play with it.

Tropical Martin, from a gardeners point of view. :D

Is that enough?

All depends how obsessive you want to be :D At f/4 and in my opinion, I would want to up the ante a bit. At one end of the scale you have a simple piereced eyecap and at the other you have the CatsEye collimation tools. Somewhere in between there are cheshire's, sight tubes and lasers. As a minimum I would get hold of a combined cheshire/sight tube (like the one I just sold :help: ) to ensure secondary rotational and fore/aft positioning before using the laser. Also and depending on which laser you have I would check it's accuracy as Steppenwolf (I think) has commented on. The other thing I would look into is the barlowed lased technique something I have not tried but there appears to be a lot of merit in this approach.

Hmm, good tips there, i think i'll see how the pics roll out before doing anything else I dont understand :D

I just got EQmod to play with the mount. Went round the houses with that one, until finally figuring out that the powered USB hub might be the problem. Once the usb-serial cable was plugged into the laptop instead of that, all worked ok. I have the HalloNorthSky planetarium (free), is there a better more easier FREE one available? Ideally for me it would be as intuitive as Stellarium.?

Right, just the CCD apps to figure out now :help:

oh right, i'll check that out, didnt know you could do that.

TJ

EDIT: You sure 'bout that Reggie? I cant find any info about it in the readme or in the app itself. Im using the latest version.

Archived