Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS Comet stacking help please

Trying to stack some 46P captures in DSS, but it doesn't come out correct. 

I first register all light frames (I have no calibration frames), then going through each sub and manually marking the comet nucleus with the comet tool, then do a Kappa-Sigma stack. The comet still appears stretched in the stacked image while the stars are aligned. I've attached a crop of the first and last sub, the resulting stacked image, and a screengrab of dss.

Any suggestions appreciated, I haven't tried changing the parameters of the stacking, and subs are pretty wide-field, could that be an issue?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

stacked.PNG

dss.PNG

Thanks, still no luck though, reduced the number of stars to about 1800 by moving the star detection treshold slider and selected a frame as reference frame, but wouldn't stack on the comet. I think I need a fresh start by re-installing DSS, try the 32bit version this time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Right, getting there, de-installed the 64x version and freshly installed 4.1.1 32x version. Selected a few frames for a quick test and it seems to have worked. Just another one of those windows mysteries I guess. Now just need to do it for real.

Capture.PNG

Archived