Mains Power for HEQ5Pro and other equipment

Kryff

I have an HEQ5PRro mount with a Skywatcher ED80 that I am currently running from a 13.8v PSU (details below)

I also have other equipment on 12v and 7.8v supply's running directly off the mains.

I would like to put all my other equipment through the Regulated supply but don't know if this is possible.

Can anyone advise me if this is possible with this PSU or will I need a different PSU?

All equipment proposed to run through the Regulated PSU:

• HEQ5Pro mount 12v ???amp
  • 3 x dew heater 12” x 12v ???amp
  • 2 x DSLR 7.8v ???amp
  • Focusser 12v ???amp
  • 1 x other ???12v ???amp
  • All via 9 way power bar (1 in 8 out)

Regulated PSU details:

3 amp 13.8V bench power supply unit PSU suitable for 12V devices, to 40w PS3000T.  Manufactured by Centronics.  
Power main i/p 230-250 volts.  
These power supplies are a standard conventional torroidal transformer.
i/p o/p fuses
Fitted with 13amp plug with 3 amp fuse.

Bench-Power-Supply-Unit-Psu-3-Amp-138V.jpg

If you want to DIY power supply, have a look at Mean Well LRS-100-12 power supply - that one will give you about 8.5A at 12V - that should be plenty of power.

You will need to pack it into a box (take care of ventilation and mounting) and add your own plugs / fuses ...

I run an eq6, 2x dew straps, USB hub, focuser, pocket power box off my 8amp PSU and it draws around 1,5amps according to the ppb software at Max. I still wouldn't go with only a 3 amp, probably look for something around 8 amps.

Thanks Guys. That's really helpful.

With regard to the cameras they each run from 12v through a LM2596 DC-DC Switching Adjustable Step Down Voltage Regulator Converter 3V-40V

So this shouldn't be a problem (Should it?)

I have had a look at the Mean Well LRS-100-12 power supply and This looks like a great option.

To be honest I’d just stick with separate power supplies and the multi plug adapter. 

Couple of reasons - one you’ll have to cobble up cables for everything and if you get your polarity mixed up on any lf them there’s a chance of blowing the equipment. 

Two is everything is powered through one psu and that blows you’re knackered. You might as well pack up for the night. 

Is there a particular reason you want to put everything through one psu?

58 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Is there a particular reason you want to put everything through one psu?

I'm imaging and in the process of adding motor focuser, that will then be totaling:

- 12V mount, 12V camera cooler, 12V USB 3.0 powered hub, 12V motor focuser, 1x Laptop plug, 12V for Flat panel (at the moment I park scope, power off mount and do flats with mount power lead).

That will be x6 220V sockets to get in my back yard. I currently have x4 (no motor focuser yet and flat box uses mount supply) - this way it will be 6 and a new extension lead, not to mention bunch of 12V transformers. Cable mess from power cables only, then you have USB for ... :D you get the picture.

For me it makes sense to keep current extension cord, use two sockets - one for laptop and other for 12V PSU and bunch of custom made cables (can control length and stiffness and plug type). It is also useful for someone doing part time back yard, part time dark site - since such PSU can be replaced with battery box with same plugs - keep all the cables the same and just switch the box and you have mobile setup (battery box would need to include laptop step up dc/dc type device as well).

Archived