Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Afocal M33 on alt-az mount

dph1nm

M33 - 40x16sec exposure with my Nexstar SLT 102. Afocal Olympus 2020Z digicam at ISO200 with 32mm eyepiece. Taken from my very light polluted back garden. Dark/background subtracted by using a median stack of 10 offset 'blank' sky fields.

m33_oct27.jpg

NigelM

Lots of detail for 16 sec subs. What's the max you can get before trailing using the SLT?

I don't know, 'cos 16sec is the maximum my camera will do. Being alt-az, field rotation will get you eventually of course, though this depends on where you are in the sky. I must say I am quite impressed with the mount and I hardly lose any16sec subs to tracking errors - although note that my setup does result in 6 arcsec pixels.

NigelM

Yep, I'd agree Nigel, low down, east or west... I've managed 2 minutes without rotation and trailing on M31 a month or so ago using my NexStar SLT. I got 15 seconds on Polaris and 45/50 seconds on M52 about 2 weeks ago.

Archived