SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen HR 3.4/TSA120

jetstream

The past 3 months have been wall to wall clouds with snow recently and there has been very few chances to observe. Tonight the sky was clear finally and with VG seeing. The TSA 120 cools down in cold temps flawlessly, with the coldest being about -20c.

My Zeiss 25.1-6.7mm zoom with the Baader VIP has been the combination to beat for the moon and planets but tonight the superb HR 3.4mm and 2.4mm bested it, giving impossibly better contrast and definition. This is no easy feat... the moon revealed chiseled features, just so sharp. The 3.4mm gave 265x and the 2.4mm 375x which the TSA120 handled with ease using the Baader prism diagonal.

I am surprised with this telescope and the mag it handles, it could have taken much more tonight- the 2mm Vixen HR just might be coming along soon...these eyepieces have basically no scatter and give very bright views. The scope is mounted on an AZ EQ6 so the narrow fov is not an issue as this mount tracks extremely well.

The Vixen and Tak combination gave a true wow moment- actually these kind of views rock me back every time I see them...

Takes alot to impress you by now Gerry I should think, so that must be a pretty awesome combination. I keep being tempted by a 3.4mm, but suspect my eyes and the seeing won't be up to it unfortunately.

@jetstream I'm glad you can make good use of such tiny exit pupils.  The floaters in my observing eye render my 3.5mm Pentax XW almost unbearable to view through even in an f/6 scope.  I have to switch to binoviewers at those exit pupils, and even then I still perceive them occasionally.

I remember those cold nights (and days) growing up in the upper Midwest.  Canada generously shared their Artic air with us regularly.

On 17/12/2018 at 08:22, Louis D said:

@jetstream I'm glad you can make good use of such tiny exit pupils.  The floaters in my observing eye render my 3.5mm Pentax XW almost unbearable to view through even in an f/6 scope.  I have to switch to binoviewers at those exit pupils, and even then I still perceive them occasionally.

I remember those cold nights (and days) growing up in the upper Midwest.  Canada generously shared their Artic air with us regularly.

I find that the ability to dim certain objects like the moon or Jupiter to be an asset and at a mag that coincides with typical seeing.  I use larger exit pupils primarily and just can't wait to get this TSA120 on Saturn and Jupiter when they are at a higher elevation and with these Vixen HR eyepieces.

Mind you my 15" goes over 700x sharp on the moon... with the HR2.4mm at a brighter .5mm exit pupil. I like the Upper Midwest States I've seen, particularly  Wisconsin,nice place with nice people.

Archived