NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 - SemiRGB/narrowband combination

MartinFransson

So... what to do when you want to make an RGB image but lack sufficient RGB data? You make a total mess by mixing in your NB data ?

There were so many steps along the way (just experimenting here) I almost can´t remember but it went something like this:

1. Stack and stretch RGB-data carefully. After all, this was a lot less data than needed!
2. Split RGB image into R, G and B.
3. Add Ha-data to red channel (Blend mode Lighten in Photoshop) to taste (thanks @ollypenrice for getting me started with this method a while back!).
4. Add O3-data to blue channel as per above.
5. Add some of the Ha and some of the O3 to green channel as per above (15-25% of each). Didn´t want to use my S2-data since it was too noisy.
6. Create a SuperLum channel from my combined NB data in PixInsight.
7. Bring the new RGB-image (from steps above) into Pixinsight.
8. Split the new RGB-image into separate channels and combine to LRGB with the SuperLum channel.
9. Back to Photoshop for some colour balance tweaking etc.

Something like that anyway.
This is 16*60s each for R, G and B combined with NB data Ha 37*300s, O3 20*300s and S2 30*300s.

Is it a true RGB image? No.
Are the colours scientifically correct? Nope.
Call it my artistic interpretation of the data I´ve managed to gather ?

HAO3SuperlumRGB_test2_colourcorrect_v2.thumb.jpg.34ba6cffa207087eec597ae7bba571bb.jpg

HAO3SuperlumRGB_test2_colourcorrect.jpg

That’s a great result. For me there is no right or wrong colour rendition on objects like this. I am sure the visual only community will correct me if I am wrong but I think you can only ‘see’ this object by imaging techniques?

21 hours ago, carastro said:

Nice image, I have just posted up the same image also with part narrowband and part RGB.  What a coincidence. 

Though you got a better result:

Carole 

Thanks Carole! I have more than twice the imaging time and a faster lens/scope at f/4.5 so my data should be easier to process. I don´t get the detail that you do on the other hand :)

Archived