More 46P - this time widefield on 13-12-2018 & closer in on 12-12-2018

2142210360_46P-CometStars-Flat.thumb.png.841e68a2725a27809bb3cbc52a2cf92e.png

Here is Comet 46P / Wirtanen imaged on Thursday 13th December, 2018 at around 10:30pm as it edges along the back of Taurus.

This is my first proper attempt at imaging a comet. It is 102 x 60 seconds with a Canon EOS 1DX and 70-200mm lens at 85mm, f2.8 & ISO 800. Tracked on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer mount. Stacked in DSS, one stack registered on the stars and the second stack registered on the comet, then combined in Photoshop. I am pretty happy with the result.

What I'm really looking forward to is a perfectly clear night tomorrow (Sunday) to capture 46P as it siddles past the Pleiades. Well, I can dream, can't I ?!?

Nice moment in time captured Gav, looking on the satellite images there appears to be clearer weather edging our way and CO thinks around midnight tomorrow there may be a clear bit with less wind.

Hoping to get my SCT on it when it gets a bit higher.

Dave

PS: Has Helen organised anything SGL wise ?

Thank you Dave, Dave & Steve. Yes, I've just been looking at every forecast and there does appear to be the promise of a clear window in the middle of tomorrow night. We will all be out there giving it our best if it materialises!

Really want to do a decent timelapse of 46P too.

Meanwhile, I've just been fiddling with some RGB data of 46P that I shot with my Esprit100 & QSI on the 12th December. Only 10 x 30s in Red and Green and 1 x 30s in Blue (clouds spoiled my fun!). Anyway, here's the image - more a bit of processing practice... I'm slowly getting the hang of comet processing in DSS, but there is still some star trailling evident. I hope to have the opportunity to improve my techniques with new data soon!

1202585130_46P_Esprit100_CometStars-04.thumb.png.2563eb372a73ba165d6df840e68794d4.png

Archived