Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Congratulations to Cairngorn National Park!

Beulah

There are many areas in Scotland that would clearly pass the dark sky designation, but the hills around Tomintoul may help screen out some of the light from neighbouring towns and cities, always a bonus when trying to dark adapt the eyes.

Even in the middle of Dava moor, midway between Carrbridge, Forres and Inverness, it's still possible to see some light from Inverness, which is about 18 miles away. The last time I was at Dava (January I think )the Snow on the ground made viewing difficult, just too much light.

When we get bad weather in Moray, roads to and from places like Tomintoul can be quickly shut off, even the renowned A9 often gets closed, due to heavy snow, so having the right conditions always helps. 

My work takes me to many sites that would be amazing under the right conditions. My most memorable night was less than a mile away from the house, so much Starlight from the Milky Way, it cast a body shadow, stunning yet surreal. 

Finding the time, having the right conditions and wrapping up warm are essential requirements through most of the season from now until at least March.
Just stop somewhere out of town and look up. 

I would imagine now that having dark sky status over a specific area would prevent the likes of outdoor attractions and festivals from blazing the skies with powerful lights or lasers, and even new build projects will have something to contend with now!

Archived