NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Street lights

Martin 2

I used to go up to these light's and kick the Box were all the setting/Electronics were switched em off for about 3 hrs :laugh:

I guess you don't need to now has they have stopped comming on altogether

Mark :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::wink:

As I've mentioned before, you can shoot them out by firing a laser pointer at the little box on top where the light sensor is. Unfortunately, this only gives you about 10 minutes of peace, and you have to wait for the light to come back on fully to shoot it out again. It is rather fun, though. Laser pointer I bought recently doesn't have the kick to do it, though. My old one did.

I've known people to hang cardboard boxes over them. or just drape stuff to create a shadow over their viewing areas. Eventually, that light will die. It will cycle on and off for a few months first, though. The street light on the corner of my street butned out about a year ago, and they haven't wised up yet. I was in contact for a while with an astronomer who made "LPR screens" out of ABS tubing, covered with black cloth, in sizes suitable for creating a shadow over his scope and viewng area. It worked. I have done a similar trick to block my neighbour's porch lights.

If you're actually able to get up to the light with ladders or some other means then a thick black paint is your best bet. A liberal coating in a strategic position will stop your viewing area being flood lit. Someing like a car body spray paint is probably the most practical. This is the method most councils use in response to light pollution complaints where street lights are shining into peoples bedrooms. They simple paint one end of the offending light.

I can get to the light quite easily, its not that high and I have a pole long enough to reach it, just need a cover of some sort to put over it, I though If i attach a bit of cord to it then when I'm packing up I just need to pull the cord to get it off

M2

Archived