NGC-7000 HaSHO

Rodd

OK--this one does include a post of a non starless and a starless approach--but its the last I promise.  I wanted to do this one because it real exemplifies the difference using this approach can make.  The differences in these images are completely due to using the starless step in processing work flow.  Same data, same approach to processing except for the starless step.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 with 3um Astrodon filters.

Ha: 45 4min

SII: 33 5 min

OIII: 36 5 min

New image using starless step

1605122113_Image07last2-histcolors.thumb.jpg.35256f18624275aa0f392d565feaa85a.jpg

Previous best 

Final5a.thumb.jpg.b564c50a25d62f6e6b1210280f987919.jpg

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

The both looking pretty good to me.  In what way do you feel the "starless" method works better?

Carole 

There are less "whiteish" areas in the new image--I think it looks deeper and more natural.  I don't hate the previous one though. 

Rodd

Although I like new version better (both are exceptional indeed), there are some bits that bother me - there seems to be "color burn" in most interesting parts of the image - ones that my eye naturally wonders to - intricate nebulosity

Here is an example:

image.png.39ee1567644eacfb890eae7183623e80.png

Sorry to be such pixel peeper, but hey, you shoot it at that resolution - I'm going to look at it in that resolution :D

11 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Like the starless stepped process - more detail and colour in the heavier/darker area of the image. Colour saturation is up and contrast has been controlled really well. 

Thanks Francis.  saturation may be  bit too up to tell the truth.  But just a tad.

Rodd

5 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Sorry to be such pixel peeper, but hey, you shoot it at that resolution - I'm going to look at it in that resolution

I'm shooting at 2.46!  (I know it seems higher).  Don't apologize--Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I missed that and am correcting it now.  Will take some time to get right.  I backed up 7-8 steps an found where I went off the rails.  I could post the image directly as all the steps that followed were relatively minor tweaks.  But if you are going to scrutinize at that resolution...I had better make sure I process to that resolution!?

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That's real nice Rodd, the new new version is an improvement, with those areas tidied up!  The colouration and FOV is stunning.  

Thanks Doc.   thank god for the pixel peepers....the devil's in the details!

Rodd

This is probably one of the best renditions of the NA/Pelican nebula I have ever seen. Usually the dark nebula between them is shown as a solid black area. But you show it the way it should be shown. The NA and Pelican are really one and the same emission nebula, with the dark nebula obscuring a region.

Excellent work, Rodd.

2 minutes ago, wimvb said:

This is probably one of the best renditions of the NA/Pelican nebula I have ever seen. Usually the dark nebula between them is shown as a solid black area. But you show it the way it should be shown. The NA and Pelican are really one and the same emission nebula, with the dark nebula obscuring a region.

Excellent work, Rodd.

Thanks Wim.  I saw a very deep image of this area once that was amazing.  The difference between that one and mine--well, the biggest difference--was the Pelican looked like it was at the same level as North America--behind the central dark nebula.  In mine, for some reason the Pelican looks further toward the viewer--still behind the dark nebula, but much closer to it.  You can almost see a slope right next to the Pelicans bill.  That image had a lot more data, and I think with more--that depth would be apparent.  If you look at my image and think about it, you eventually see it.  In his image it was very apparent immediately.

Rodd

9 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The 3d appearance also becomes clearer if you rotate the image, as in Metsavainio's version here:

https://astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2011/11/ngc-7000-north-america-pelican-nebulae.html?m=1

Maybe its the way it s supposed to be--I see the pelican in his closer to me (the viewer) as well.  Heck, maybe it is.  I won't argue with Metsavainio!

Rodd

Archived