NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading from modded 600D

SAW

Hi,

Looking to get a cooled CCD as fed up with the noise from the dslr. I was going go for a OSC but in the long run I think I will be happier with a mono as I already have some Baader 1.25" filters. This camera will be used with my WO61 on a Lightrack II mount mainly for nebula and galaxies. Think I've narrowed my choice down to the 414EX or 460EX although the 460 is over my budget but will I be happy with the 414 ?

Anyone using a similar set up ?

I was in the exact same position about a Year ago.....  

Had a 600D (modded) with a SW Equinox 80 and was very happy with it, but I fell under the lure of NarrowBand..... seeing what other people had achieved was a big factor, I was smitten, and curious as to whether I could get anywhere near their results.

Yes a cooled OSC pushes the boundaries of what is possible, and is convenient under our fickle skies, but the mono opens up a whole new sphere of involvement, both processing and capturing.

Here is an example....  with a canon and 200pds

and now with the 414ex... with a 150mmF4 reflector I think.....  the 414ex is very sensitive.

Have a look at my album to give you some idea.  (" Atik 414ex...the adventure continues ")

The Atik is very simple to use, and the capture software is straightforward.  I am a complete dummy at times, and I managed it. 

The only flies  in the ointment are that usb filter wheels and filters can be expensive and the field of view can be small. Processing will take longer, but you do have a lot of control over the output.

Also, check out a FOV calculator to make sure you have some objects at least to photograph with your scopes or ...<gulp> future scopes.  ;) 

What happens is that you tend to set up a siege mentality with an object and hunt it down until it submits to your curiosity.

Have fun.... I don't think you can go wrong with either ATIK..

SEAN.

I'm already using a few ZWO cameras (not cooled) but only use these for lunar and solar, although done a little RGB planetary. I'm not sure if I want to try and get images in lots of different filters then have to stack it all, flats for each filter etc when a OSC is a lot quicker BUT the images are never as good.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't decided ! Found a used 383L which is quite close to me, maybe that's an option ?

I do quite like the FOV I get with the 414EX with my WO61 on something like M33 but anything like M42 it's going to be no good.

1 minute ago, SAW said:

Still haven't decided ! Found a used 383L which is quite close to me, maybe that's an option ?

I do quite like the FOV I get with the 414EX with my WO61 on something like M33 but anything like M42 it's going to be no good.

I went from a DSLR to a 383L+.  I would happily recommend that change. 

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I went from a DSLR to a 383L+.  I would happily recommend that change. 

Did you go mono or OSC ?

Been looking at 314L+, 383L+ or the 414EX, the 460 and 490 are out of my price range.

I do have some baader 1.25" filters but read these might be a problem with the 383L+ ?

8 hours ago, SAW said:

Did you go mono or OSC ?

Been looking at 314L+, 383L+ or the 414EX, the 460 and 490 are out of my price range.

I do have some baader 1.25" filters but read these might be a problem with the 383L+ ?

I went for the mono version. Price and size of sensor were the deciding factors.

There is considerable debate about the 1.25” filters.  I use the full range of Baader 1.25” filters with mine. Flats take care of any vignetting. I rang Atik and they advised me down to F5 is fine with the 383L+ and an Atik EFW2.

Archived