Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where is polaris please.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Terrierist said:

Hi!

What mobile device do you have, please? I may be able to assist with a rough and ready way to get you in the (very near) ball park

Good call! I use Sky Safari Pro and the 'live view' thingy to align my Star Adventurer during the day for solar imaging. You could have cracked this one!

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

Just trying to plate solve it.

Hi Carole - I have been plate solving with Astrometry.net but it fails if I upload an image with annotations. I've had to crop and the results are what I've passed to the OP.

Am I doing something wrong?

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I think that could be it top right, it's much brighter than the other stars.  Just trying to plate solve it.

Carole 

Thanks Carole, Adreneline and all, just plate solved and worked my way through the rest and now i'm spot on ?.

Good luck on the heart my friend.

Hi Carole - I have been plate solving with Astrometry.net but it fails if I upload an image with annotations. I've had to crop and the results are what I've passed to the OP.

To be honest, I am new to Astrometry.net myself, so I just uploaded in ignorance and it worked for me, no idea why it would not work for you too.

Carole 

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

Thats what i just used to platesolve the last screenshot, its great.

Just now, MARS1960 said:

Thanks Carole, Adreneline and all, just plate solved and worked my way through the rest and now i'm spot on ?.

Good luck on the heart my friend.

Excellent - I hope you get some good imaging time now... cloud is rolling in here in Wiltshire... damn! At least you've cracked the issue though.

Do a star trail image of mybe 5-10  minutes cause since you wont see any rotation from Polaris you need to do a WF image to really point it out . This the easiest way to find Polaris . Other than that just remember to use the Big Dipper and small dipper for locating Polaris . 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=3vh25%2fM6&id=ED02937D070185C6E2D38892D3CF480A534DA252&thid=OIP.3vh25_M6v3fD9kUPMJBsMAHaGg&q=polaris+star+map&simid=608003089279353169&selectedIndex=0

Archived