SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I think this is orion?

Hello! I have been taking random pictures in my city all night long! and I found something that I believe is the Orion Nebula but I am not to sure... If anyone has a good eye out there for crappy iPhone photos! but I am unsure what this is.. ? and the app that I use for my phone works a bit off set... Not to sure what I was looking at! But it blew me away! 

IMG-2234.JPG

IMG-2235.JPG

IMG-2233.JPG

Yes, that is hart of Orion nebula (M42) - central region called Trapezium - after 4 stars that you captured in first image (there are really 6 stars that you can observe there, but two are tiny and you need good scope and stable atmosphere to see them).

Here is image from Wiki article on that nebula - first image taken of it back in 1880 - shows same stars and nebulosity, but here trapezium is not resolved as in your.

Henry_Drape_Orion_nebula_1880_inverted.j

12 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, that is hart of Orion nebula (M42) - central region called Trapezium - after 4 stars that you captured in first image (there are really 6 stars that you can observe there, but two are tiny and you need good scope and stable atmosphere to see them.

awesome! thank you for the info! I honestly had no idea of what I was looking at! Thank you :D 

Archived