Help processing

Matzi

Hi all

I just ordered my very first AP rig, and while I wait for it, I might as well get into processing so I know a least a little about it, for when I get my rig.

I got Photoshop CC 2017, which is the program I'll be using for processing, but I never used Photoshop, or any other processing software before, and the video turtorials I find on Youtube kinda confuses me more than they help.  Especially if it's my first time to use the program, most of the turtorials are meant for someone who at least has some knowledge in Photoshop.

Also it would be much appreciated if anyone got some data I could burrow, to try and practice on, and no Narrowband in the beginning 

Also I got DSS for stacking.

Thanks in advance

-Mats

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have put a few video tutorials on photoshop to help a few people and others seem to have found them.  I might think about doing a tutorial for beginners if it will help.

What sort of camera are you using?  i.e. DSLR or Mono? 

You can find the link to them on my website. 

Carole 

Hi Carole

Thanks, that sounds great, I'll be using a modded Nikon D5300, so yes a DSLR, and I would love a beginners turtorial, cause when trying something in Photoshop I have no idea what I'm doing. :)

Mats

Here’s a tif of m51 of mine feel free to play

Essentially everything in  processing comes down to curves and levels at its most basic foundation, and yes it is horrifically intimidating to start so don’t worry it’s a steep learning curve. And there’s is no “right way” e ermine has has their own workflow so just play until you’re happy really!

try this very straight forward starter guide it’s what got me going

2 minutes ago, Matzi said:

Well figured my was PS CC 2018, so even looking at older versions of it, kinda confuse me, as stuff dosen't look the same, lol. :)

I can relate to that, every time they update excel I have about three months of screaming and threatening to quit.

but the principles are the same in all versions of photoshop;

1. Curves is a straight line that goes bottom left to top right; you can interact with that line anywhere on it’s  length and move it around. If you interact in the bottom left you are affecting the dark, in the top right then it’s the light.

2. Levels is pretty much exactly the same but you use it to sort of clip extraneous data off the end, it’s got three sliders at the bottom dark, medium, light.

these principles are the same in all versions of photoshop going way back. And the always live in the “adjustments” button in the top file bar. Don’t get too worried about slavishly following tutorials, it’s  much more worthwhile to have a play and just get the gist of the processes.

I just did a quick Levels and curves video tutorial for beginners.  Mine is very basic and apologies for the dog barking in the middle of it and the recording ran out just before the end (I get maximum 10minutes on my free recording software), but the main part of the tutorial is there. 

Thanks a lot Carole!

Surely was helpful to some degree, but it is still all new to me, and a steep learning curve.

I saw someone post a .tif file on the veil nebula, and I gave it a try. I did bring out some nebulosity, but the bright hue/halo around it, I don't know how to remove.

So here's my first try:

Veil Nebula First Try.jpg

I have learnt much on various topics both astronomical and musical from watching videos but I do find that the speed at which the information is delivered is rather off-putting and I normally watch a video is segments making copious notes as I go! However, I much prefer written tutorials as you have much more time to take in new information. Luckily there are some great text-based tutorials on the Internet and I would recommend these over videos when you are first starting out.

This website details both Levels and Curves adjustment in an easy to digest format - OK, it is not aimed at astrophotography in particular but the principals of these adjustments are the same.

Here's my try on your Horsehead file

That's come out pretty well, I hope the tutorial helped you.

With all the practice you are now getting with all the images offered to you you should be ready for processing your own data.

Carole 

19 minutes ago, carastro said:

That's come out pretty well, I hope the tutorial helped you.

With all the practice you are now getting with all the images offered to you you should be ready for processing your own data.

Carole 

It sure did, and now I'm ready to try my own, but still only basic processing, still a lot to learn.

56 minutes ago, Matzi said:

Mr Niall, this was my attempt on yours. It was pretty hard, as I had to crop it, so it left the image quite small.

And hard to keep the background dark.

M51.jpg

That’s pretty good, the data wasn’t that good. You’ve picked out some good detail there, better than I managed!

20 hours ago, carastro said:

I just did a quick Levels and curves video tutorial for beginners.  Mine is very basic and apologies for the dog barking in the middle of it and the recording ran out just before the end (I get maximum 10minutes on my free recording software), but the main part of the tutorial is there. 

Hi Carole,

I mainly use other software (ImagesPlus) for DSO image processing, but I do use PS (CS2) for part of my planetary image processing. I've never worked out how to better align the channels in PS, nor how to set the curve's stretch lock points other than by trial and error, so your tutorial has really helped me with those features, thank you. I can see that I might be introducing CS2 into my DSO processing workflow too in future ;-).

Cheers, Geof

Here's my try on your Horsehead file

That was one of my early images taken in 2011 with a DSLR from my home LP location.  I can never get to a dark site when it is up.  It's come in useful for a number of talks and tutorials.

Carole 

21 hours ago, carastro said:

That was really useful are you going to do one on layers too?

Archived