Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Updating to Stellarium 0.18.2

eep40d

Hi,

I have noticed that every time I update Stellarium, it seems to wipe my settings and I lose them all the time. I had a lot of things set up, especially the field of view which relates to what I can see out of my window. I noticed that the whole directory has been wiped clean. Is this a regular occurrence with Stellarium? I am using Windows 7 and updated from 0.18.1 to 0.18.2.  I am pretty miffed at all my settings disappearing all the time, especially since it has taken me ages to set up!  I will need to make a backup of that directory, since the last system restore was back in January for some reason!

Thanks,

Naddie

Thanks.  I will need to check if I did see that option.  However, this is getting a bit curiouser.  Does Stellarium store the files in this directory:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\stellarium\

I have updated the settings roughly from memory, but  I didn't notice any new files in that directory.  I noticed it kept my ocular settings for my telescope and camera. It did not keep the field of view, the display settings, nor the location. There seems to be only a cache directory there.

Naddie

image.png.ac65d74cbf8499b3920db891939d9055.png

I hope you get it fixed and find your solution?
When I last updated to a version higher than 0.15.0 I had some weird issues on my Mac ( there is a thread somewhere) so I just reverted back to 0.15.0, whilst waiting for a revised update, and I'm still there, with 0.15, no issues, but I'm sure whatever the problem was back then for my system, its probably been sorted now, maybe I should try again sometime.
Mac 10.14 Mojave

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2018 at 21:12, eep40d said:

Thanks.  I will need to check if I did see that option.  However, this is getting a bit curiouser.  Does Stellarium store the files in this directory:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\stellarium\

I have updated the settings roughly from memory, but  I didn't notice any new files in that directory.  I noticed it kept my ocular settings for my telescope and camera. It did not keep the field of view, the display settings, nor the location. There seems to be only a cache directory there.

Naddie

Close. :smile: Stellarium settings are stored in

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\stellarium\

Just copy the contents of this directory to somewhere 'safe' when you have Stellarium set up as you like it. If anything does get overwritten by a new install just copy the relevant file back to the above directory. 

config.ini saves all your program configuration settings.

modules\oculars stores all your ocular settings.

A major upgrade to the program may change the format the settings files are stored in, but a well written program should be able to read the old format and convert them to the new. :wink2:

Alan

Archived