Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing a retrograde

Well finally time to get the scopes back out of the shed again and can't wait!

One thing I was wanting to watch and record over the 'dark' period is a planet performing a retrograde mannover in its orbit does anyone know if this is a option or I'm I out of luck? 

Cheers.

P.s good to be back!

Not sure which planets may be in retrograde over the coming months, I'm sure someone will chip in. Retrograde movement is a relative motion against the background stars caused by the Earth "over-taking" a planet in it's orbit. So the only way to see this is to plot the relative position of the planet against the background star field over a period of time covering the "over-taking maneuver". So it's not a quick thing to do but a nice mid to long-term project over the winter months.

Good luck!

IIRC, Mars is about the best planet to plot retrograde movement on. Thats if you can see it. All planets show retrograde movement. As Dave said, its caused by our perspective from Earth as planets "overtake" each other, as they orbit the sun. Its a game of cat and mouse.

Its a slow process to image/plot. 

Yep, slow is the word! Just Think it would be a fascinating thing to watch happen over the winter period. I'm always too quick just to view a planet through the scope rather then pay attention to what it is actually doing

25 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Yep, slow is the word! Just Think it would be a fascinating thing to watch happen over the winter period. I'm always too quick just to view a planet through the scope rather then pay attention to what it is actually doing

Same here. TBH........retrograde motion is not a visual thing. Its certainly an imaging thing.

Mars, Jupiter & Saturn this time around, have now past their respective oppositions a few months ago. Any good planetarium application/program will show you when the next one is/are due by changing the date & time.

"Yep, slow is the word..." - don't know why, but I had an earworm/brainworm of "Grease is the word..." ? 

Archived