Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

condensation

Hi - I've never had a problem with e/ps but the finder scope can be a problem. A dewshield deals with front end of the scope. Some people use a hair dryer to sort out the problem with the finder. One thing I've done after I've used the finder to locate an object is to put the cap back on - just loosely so it's easier to get off in the dark. It's an obvious solution but it's taken me years to work it out! This approach seems to keep the dew at bay for a longer period of time.

Ed

My FlexTube's secondary got totally dewed up a couple of nights ago, yet the primary was completely clear.

Given the OTA's structure it would be easy to give the secondary a blast with a hairdryer. Is there any chance of damaging the secondary with the hot air?

Is there any way to keep the secondary clear? Would a shroud make a lot of difference?

Mike

Mike,

Due to the open design of the tube I would have thought that a shroud would help prevent most of the dew forming and also make up a dew shield..

I may be totally wrong here mind :)

Given the OTA's structure it would be easy to give the secondary a blast with a hairdryer. Is there any chance of damaging the secondary with the hot air?

A gentle blast a few feet away shouldn't do any harm, i'm a bit wary myself when I had to blast the corrector plate the other night with Annettes Tesco value hairdryer..

Steve (FLO) is getting a Lightshroud designed for the 300P Flextube, MikeP. From what he told me a few weeks ago, it should almost be ready to go on his website now. Why not give him a ring and ask? (He is probably getting fed up with me pestering him :shock: ).

Re the hairdryer idea - I used a 12v camping hairdryer to keep the corrector plate of my LX90 free of dew (I already had a dewshield in place - damp place is west central Scotland). It worked fine (for half an hour, then I had to do it again). It also worked well on EPs or the Finder - the only problem is that it is power hungry and if you are working away from home, off a power tank, the hairdryer drains it quickly.

Tom

Thanks Tom, was not aware of that. He has shrouds for Lightbridges which I'd considered.

I was toying with using a camping mat and some sticky-backed velcro. Forming a cylindrical shape around three poles without further support seems to cry out for something semi-rigid.

Steve's emails are about to be added to.

Mike

Archived