Altair & Shooting Star

I was taking some test exposures the other evening and caught this shooting star in one. As I’ve just finished watching The Sky at Night, about asteroids, meteors etc I thought I’d post it. This is a single 1 minute at f2.8 ISO400 on the star adventurer with 135mm.

E63DCAE9-59F0-4DD0-BBAC-1B7EE5BEB7B6.thumb.png.b854fa94cc53836e54d1b5a8979a2dec.png

Very nice image Richard, although I’m not totally convinced it is a meteor. Does the line not look too even, indicating a satellite? There are plenty around that area it think.

I don’t want to take away from a great image, and may well be wrong!!

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very nice image Richard, although I’m not totally convinced it is a meteor. Does the line not look too even, indicating a satellite? There are plenty around that area it think.

I don’t want to take away from a great image, and may well be wrong!!

Could be. Wouldn’t a satellite stretch across the whole image?

edit

not sure this is conclusive but the streak has vanished quite quickly.

http://dakotalapse.com/2014/03/meteor-or-satellite/

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I guess it just cuts in and out cleanly as if it were the shutter cutting off, not fading in and out.

When was it taken?

9C247D87-7453-45FC-98D4-09C1D71132DD.png

Hi Stu, I took it on 7/9/18 at 22.16

This is a jpeg of it as it came out of the camera (apart from increasing the brightness by 2 stops so you can see it).

I used Pixinsight to process the finished image and created a mask (range mask - star mask)  to highlight the meteor to increase it's brightness so it stood out more. I had to use a clone stamp to erase some brightness nearby carefully avoiding the meteor so I'm surprised its as straight as it is. :) 

1035014110_60sec.thumb.JPG.a1c2a13d32a875eadcb3c70b211e79bd.JPG

44 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

If you have a sub immediately prior or after the one posted above, then that would confirm either a satellite or meteor

I have a 40 sec sub taken just before at 22.14 , its not in that, see below.  The next one I tried which was 75 sec wasn't until 22.34. I had to stop to let a big bank of cloud pass over.

1525515441_40sec.thumb.JPG.bc24fb1d0f2b37dcd756cc3cdee9a888.JPG

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well nothing else shows up around then, so it does appear to be a meteor. Apologies for questioning, I just like to understand things myself and if something doesn’t look right, I ask :)

Nice one :) 

No probs Stu, a satellite was the first thing I thought of, I don’t care either way, it was only a lucky catch. I presumed it was a meteor at first  because it was such a short streak with no lights and it looked like one (to me that is) :) I have learnt a bit more about how to tell now though ??

Archived