What Video Camera

I am hoping to obtain a Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 Mak GOTO 'scope early next year (birthday present). Astrophotography is not a main interest for me but I feel it would be nice to be able to produce some pictures - or even videos. I read somewhere on the Lounge about a Philips webcam that was relatively cheap and produced good results. Until I have tried astrophotography and decided I want to pursue it further, I don't want to spend a lot of money. However, the Philips webcam I read about is, apparently, no longer available so I am hoping some kind soul here can point me in the right direction. Various articles I've seen seem to suggest that some modifications to the camera might be necessary - this correct and how complex are they likely to be? I guess messing about with the camera would void any guarantee.

Cheers,

Mike

This tutorial is relevant.

http://www.astro.shoregalaxy.com/webcam_astro.htm.

You can sometimes find used webcams here.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

such as this one; (no connection with seller)

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=138848

Any Philips webcams still around will be well out of warranty.

I started with a simple Logitech C270. Yes, modifications are almost always necessary unless using dedicated astro cam, but those are fairly simple to do (and indeed void warranty) - I used small piece of PVC pipe, sanded down in diameter to fit 1.25" focuser and just glued that over the body of webcam. I also removed lens and exposed sensor, and disconnected little led that is recording indicator as it is right next to sensor.

If you plan to do planetary astrophotography on a bit more serious level - look for webcam that can output uncompressed / raw data (not many do that, they usually employ some sort of compression algorithm to be able to deliver decent FPS over usb2.0 link).

Thanks for the responses. I've looked at the various links and added some to my Favourites so I can go back when I want to. Knowing my ham-fisted approach to DIY, I am filled with concern about spending cash on a webcam and then ruining it in the conversion. However, I do have a Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX that I no longer use and this might be the camera to experiment on. The question is, is it a suitable camera for astrophotography once I've completed my adaptation efforts successfully? ?

Cheers,

Mike

6 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Not sure what your budget is but a second hand asi120 colour wouldn't be a bad option and fairly cheap. Bonus that it's fairly easy to sell on and works out of the box with no mods. 

I'd agree with this.  The USB2 ASI120MC often goes for quite reasonable prices second hand and is a good way to get your toes wet.  There are probably a few other models that are in the same bracket.  Touptek did one, as did Opticstar and there's an older Altair GPCAM model.  All three are basically the same camera.  Possibly the QHY5L-II colour as well.  The TIS DFK21 comes up used once in a while too (the DMK21 is mono and the DBK21I think requires an IR filter).

James

You can take pretty good shots of the moon with any basic webcam.

AFAIK your Logitech allows manual setting of exposure duration so you will be able to to take  images of the bright planets, particularly since you have a tracking mount.

You will have to add a X2 or X3 Barlow to provide a reasonable  image size.

The camera  is not sensitive enough for fainter objects.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:48, Anthonyexmouth said:

Not sure what your budget is but a second hand asi120 colour wouldn't be a bad option and fairly cheap. Bonus that it's fairly easy to sell on and works out of the box with no mods. 

I checked this one out on Amazon and it's a bit rich pricewise for my blood. I'll see if there are any second-hand models available. While I was looking, I found the Orion StarShoot at £41 which is more like it. That appears not to require any re-modelling but I have no idea how it performs. As to the other models, I'm going to store up the info and approach it once I have my new 'scope safely in my hands. Thanks again for the assistance.

Cheers,

Mike

Again, I'm grateful for the useful pointers and comments. At this stage, I think I now have enough info to prepare for the time when I have my new 'scope. As to whether I decide astrophotography is for me, I guess that will come in good time. Thanks to all for their help.

Cheers,

Mike

1 minute ago, Mike Oliver said:

Again, I'm grateful for the useful pointers and comments. At this stage, I think I now have enough info to prepare for the time when I have my new 'scope. As to whether I decide astrophotography is for me, I guess that will come in good time. Thanks to all for their help.

Cheers,

Mike

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=140771 this ones still for sale. bit more than the orion but a great camera

Archived