Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solarmax 40 2 double stack filter

Hi, i like to know if the SM 40 is worth for the PST and i also like to know what the highest usefull manification is when stacked . ( i dond care about the proms mutch as i can use the single for that- ofcource the SM 60 solartelescope  is  better,  but that will cost me too mutch and i like the portabillity of the pst) thanks!!

Hello Andre. I have had a PST since 2005 and about 18 months ago I had the opportunity to try out a double stack. The difference it made to surface detail was brilliant. Since that time I was able to buy a double stack off a member on SGL and I use it quite often.

Things you should know it does reduce the amount of light so I always use a dark solar hood. As regards magnification I always use a TeleVue 8-24 zoom and I find that the 12mm setting is the maximum I go to because the 8mm setting is too dark.

Does this help?

1 hour ago, andre2 said:

Hi, i like to know if the SM 40 is worth for the PST and i also like to know what the highest usefull manification is when stacked . ( i dond care about the proms mutch as i can use the single for that- ofcource the SM 60 solartelescope  is  better,  but that will cost me too mutch and i like the portabillity of the pst) thanks!!

The double stack does not change magnification

My club has a PST, and easy to use, and just mount on a better quality camera tripod

With the Solarmax11, the double stack add on filter reduces normal bandwidth from 0.7A, single stack, to 0.5A double stack, which increases surface and corona detail

PST has 1.0A hydrogen-alpha (Ha) bandpass filter

The Solarmax PST has built in tuner, same as the Solarmax 11

I have the 70mm Solarmax 11, with BF10 blocking filter

What find concerning, locking screws for the blocking filter, are plastic, not metal

The new Solarmax111 has a different tuning system, and still available with double stack option

The double stack filter, is not cheap to purchase, why did not get it

You only use the standard single stack when imaging

The attached pic was taken of solar eclipse, back in 2012, just holding my android phone to eyepiece of 40mm PST

Where I was only had 80% solar eclipse

John

Solar Eclipse 02.jpg

Archived