Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI camera with USB Type C adapter?

Space Oddities

Hello Stargazers!

I recently acquired a ZWO ASI224 camera. It works well on my Mac, but I'm having trouble on my tiny Windows laptop. 

This laptop has USB 2.0 slots: no issue there (apart from the lower transfer speed). It also has a USB "Type C" slot, which surprisingly is USB 3.0 according to the specs (not 3.1 like most USB "Type C" things). Since USB 3.0 has higher transfer speeds than USB 2.0, I bought an adapter to mount the camera there.

However, when using the USB C to A adapter, Windows doesn't detect the camera. I have the latest drivers and everything up-to-date, and it works fine when I plug the camera on the USB 2.0 slots. Also, the adapter itself works fine with other USB devices.

I contacted ZWO's support team, but they don't seem to know what the issue is. Like me, they are surprised that it doesn't work, since USB is supposed to be backward compatible.

Has anyone been using successfully this kind of camera through a USB type C slot/adapter? If yes, did you run into a similar issue? Perhaps have you got an adapter you'd recommend?

Thanks for your feedback!

Pierre

Interesting, John, I will check that. It's actually a 2-in-1 laptop, which works as a tablet if you detach the keyboard. The USB 2.0 slots are on the keyboard, while the USB-C slot is on the tablet.

I'd love to leave the keyboard at home when imaging, both to reduce the weight and benefit from the tactile capabilities :)

Thanks for your suggestions! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

All right, I finally got it working! There was no update for USB available from Windows itself, but I found an update from Lenovo. Now Windows can detect my camera, and FireCapture works well!

If anyone comes across the same issue with the same laptop, the Lenovo Miix 320, here is the update I downloaded to make the USB-C port work in USB 3.0: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/tablets/miix-series/miix-320-10icr/downloads/DS503803

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Archived