Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4 Planets & the Moon from Shanghai

mart rich

I haven't posted here for a long time, but last night I was so lucky that several factors were in my favour in normally smog ridden, light pollution blighted eastern China. We have the tail end of a typhoon which has blown away the smog and the clouds, and I happened to be viewing from the edge of Jinji Lake Suzhou so I had a fantastic naked eye view of the sky to a low angle, so was rewarded with Mars, Saturn, the Moon, Jupiter and Venus in one beautiful arc across the southern sky from the city at about 7.30pm local time. The light pollution pretty much obscured all of the stars except a few of the very brightest. A wonderful sight and one that might just inspire me to spend a bit more time planet hunting from here (I have given up observing since being here). Unfortunately it was too windy to get any decent photos.

Martin

Archived