Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Pleiades - second go with the A-300

Andrew*

This time I used the newt, so it got in the data much faster being f/5. I think my power source started struggling so I was getting some tracking errors.

I'm getting some very odd diffraction patterns using the newt. I would have expected clean crosses. Any idea what's causing the extra spikes? Strangely, I saw this kind of pattern when I viewed the Airy disc later on.

I'm chuffed I got so much nebulosity. On my monitor I can see some extra really faint stuff in the middle of the 4 main stars.

Conditions: better than before, but some nasty clouds and the moon cut me short as it rose.

Kit: Sony Alpha-300 dSLR in 200mm f/5 newt on unguided EQ6

Data: 16 frames of 1-2 mins - 27.5 mins total. ISO 1600

9591_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Andrew

Very nice image Andrew, complete with some nebulosity showing through. I wonder if your collimation is a bit out with the star patterns like they are - only saying it as I have had a similar result on my 8" scope when the collimation was pretty rough.

Sam

Very nice image Andrew, complete with some nebulosity showing through. I wonder if your collimation is a bit out with the star patterns like they are - only saying it as I have had a similar result on my 8" scope when the collimation was pretty rough.

Could be, but I didn't see the tell-tale signs of mis-collimation when I did a star test :scratch:

Was the focuser racked right in and perhaps sticking into the light path a bit ?

Billy, it wasn't racked in. I don't think the focus tube was anywhere near the light path.

Hmmm... I'm going to go and look at the scope now. Perhaps a spider got in and made a web across my mirror :)

Andrew

Thanks for all your comments!

Glenn, no, some of them are sharp.

Andy, that's looking nice! Some good detail in the nebulosity. Shame the power was failing.

Yeah, my polar alignment was pretty good as you can see from images from Saturday, so it must have been down to the power :x

Andrew

Archived