NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY Refractor

kbrown

5 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Impressive ! 

How is the printed tube handeling the temperature during the imaging ?

How long did the printing take ?

Thank you! I've only had one proper imaging session with it so I can't really say for sure. Didn't notice anything worrying though. Even my dew heater worked okay wrapped around the printed tube.

I can't remember the exact printing times but the front and the rear sections took about 24 hours and the centre bit less than 10 hours.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/11/2018 at 12:02, kbrown said:

I can't remember the exact printing times but the front and the rear sections took about 24 hours and the centre bit less than 10 hours.

24 hours..10 hours..? ?
You should buy yourself a bigger nozzle... Even with big nozzles you can print very smooth parts.

On 01/12/2018 at 11:00, Chriske said:

24 hours..10 hours..? ?
You should buy yourself a bigger nozzle... Even with big nozzles you can print very smooth parts.

Just checked the times from the gcode files. The front tube was 21 hours, back tube 15 hours and the middle bit 8 hours. Yes, I definitely should get a bigger nozzle as well. At the moment I only have 0.4mm, 0.25mm and an experimental 0.15mm, which I haven't tried yet. These were printed with the 0.4mm one and 3 perimeters which is one above the default (slows things down too).

I only use 0.4mm for my smallest. most accurate prints.  My medium sized printer with 300mm square bed has a 0.6mm and my Giant printer a 2mm nozzle currently, but I'm finding that a bit too big for anything but giant prints (it makes delightful spiral vases though!).  I'm still experimenting with my Giant - it's a test-bed for extra large nozzles and high speed extrusion.

Very much recommended!  I have a Volcano hotend on my Titan printer.  I use a 60W heater cartridge in it and a 0.6mm nozzle usually.  An E3D Titan Extruder provides it with filament and I can print at 120mm/s or more.  BTW I had the name "Titan" for my printer before E3D brought out their extruder.

Archived