SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Coathanger, Fleeing Brontosaurus, Shepherd's Crook

coatesg

Taken from Domaine des Mathevies, Sainte Nathalene on nights of 10th/11th Aug, this is an image of the Coathanger (Collinder 399) in Vulpecula and the region of sky to the north, including @ollypenrice's Brontosaurus (though my daughter thinks it's a duck!) that surrounds VdB126/LBN134. I'm also taking the liberty of christening LDN 779/781/782/783 the Shepherd's Crook - we already have a hockey stick and this is far more curved! Some nice reflection nebulae superimposed on the area here.

QHY163M on Canon 200mm f2.8/L II (@f3.85), mounted on GM8.
LRGB: 166 (1m exp): 98:90:88 (in 2m subs) - all at gain:offset=75:27, using Baader filters.

Processing in PI - may need redoing as doing it on a laptop screen in a campsite may not give the best colour/tone balance...  UPDATED: with re-balanced picture on sensible screen...

There's so many stars!!! Thanks for looking :D

cr399_v1_50perc.thumb.jpg.07272e1c1f938c5938e2e28dc2ea042e.jpg

Annotated with some (but not all!) catalogues - busy area of sky:

cr399_v1_annotated_50perc.thumb.jpg.4c95dfe602ce73fcb600627133c2b2b3.jpg

Just now, gorann said:

Yes very nice image for imagination! Since your stars show no sign of spikes I assume you did not use the internal iris to stop down the lens but an aperture ring of some sort?

Yes, the iris is wide open, and I am using a 72-52mm step down ring that goes on the front of the lens, could maybe use a second and go to something slightly smaller.

8 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Yes, the iris is wide open, and I am using a 72-52mm step down ring that goes on the front of the lens, could maybe use a second and go to something slightly smaller.

That is what I thought. I do the same thing if I stop down. I assume you use one of those filter ring kits they sell on ebay for nothing.

2 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Lovely wide image, I really like this. The 200L is a very capable lens and your QHY163M  seems a good match.

First time I've used both in anger and I'm really impressed by them. Comparing the cam to my ST2000XM: it's a huge step up in terms of sensitivity and low noise. Pixel size works really well at this FL, and think I would bin 2x on my larger newt which should give some gain in SnR.

The lens was a proper eBay steal as well so more's the better!

Really liking it :)

Archived