NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nagler 26mm worth getting to replace my 35mm Panoptic

djpaul

Hi

Been offered a Nagler 26mm for £300 

I think they have stopped production of this eyepiece now

What are your thoughts on my buying it to replace my 35mm Panoptic?

For use with my SW120ed

Paul

If you observe under some light pollution you might find the higher power gives better views of dim objects. The 35 Pan will show 15% more sky. A bit of a "swings and roundabouts" decision, unless you can keep both ! :evil:

The 26mm Naglers don't come up very often.

Be aware that if you have astigmatism and need to wear eyeglasses when obseving, the 26mm does not have enough eye relief to use with eyeglasses while the 35mm Pan has plenty of eye relief.

If you've got the resources, get the 26mm Nagler and see if you like it.  They sell for about $400 to $450 used here in the states.  This would be about £300 to £350, so you should be able to sell it on without any loss if you decide not to keep it.

7 minutes ago, TheLookingGlass said:

Not a good idea if you need the eye relief. Also, a good observing friend of mine bought a 26mm Nagler. He said he owned it maybe a week. He said that there was a "ring of fire" around the edge in the 26mm Nagler, IIRC.

Many ultra wides and hyper wides have that affect including Naglers, Ethos to a lesser extent and similar eyepieces by other manufacturers. It's quite well known and reported.

5 minutes ago, TheLookingGlass said:

Which one? "ring of fire" or short eye relief?

The so called "ring of fire". Some have short eye relief as well though. Generally eye relief can be maximised up to a 68-72 degree focal length and declines as the AFoV expands beyond that. I believe this is because to maintain the long eye relief AND a very wide well corrected field of view, very large lenses would be required and eyepieces would need to be a 3 inch or even larger format.

The "ring of fire" affects daytime viewing and sometimes lunar and solar viewing. It does not seem to appear when viewing stars, clusters, nebulae etc.

Archived