Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anyone know what comes in the box with a HEQ5 pro synscan mount?

Reggie

Hi All, I want to order a Heq5 pro synscan mount from FLO, trouble is they don't show what comes in the box, I want to be up and running as soon as it gets here (weather permitting).

I think it comes with the synscan 3.xx handset, the handset to serial data cable, and that's about it?

so I'm going to need a polar scope and some power?

I've currently got a celestron power tank 12v 7ah and a spare 12v 7ah battery, from what I've read on sgl so far this doesn't appear to be quite enough?

If so then a 13.8V bench supply ala maplins the 5a version should do the trick? I also spotted this but wasn't sure if the Amp rating at 2/4a was good enough? I already have an RCD so putting power in the garden isn't a big issue. I also have various cigar lighter adapters that I can fit to the first maplin bench supply, so no worries there either with it just having +/- posts for power output.

Either way I think I'm going to need a power lead as I don't think the various celestron ones I have will fit?

Is there anything I've missed?

That's the bench supply and power cable questions answered :) How long ago did you get yours KK? Not sure whether the polar scope is still supplied or not. I guess I can always order one and if its surplus to requirements Steve @ flo can amend the order for me :D

Bought mine last month, everything bar the power tank is there. The polar scope is illuminated too which is nice. Read between the lines when you read the instructions as they are in best Englishese! I find my tank is OK for visual stuff, make sure it's fully charged though. If I'm imaging I use mains. Well, with an adapter obviously..... :) . You won't be disappointed, for the price it's a great mount.

I've got one of the all white HEQ5Pro mounts ( the ones I see advertised today seem to have a black "drive" collar???)

The hand controller, serial cable and a 2.5mm to 12V power lead was all I got!

The polar scope is built into the RA shaft and you remove the domed plastic cover at the bottom to find it.

I've had success using a 12V 5A power transformer, a 12V to 15V computer step-up transformer and you MUST get the L shaped 2.5mm power connector for the mount ( trust me!) the longer straight one is likely to fall out/ loose connection just when you need it.

Fantastic, I've just bought one of these I believe Steve (steppenwolf) recommends these on his site so that's good enough for the power, freeing up my batteries for seperate Dew heater duty which should cut down on noise for the DSLR :)

I'll get the 5m astronomiser cable and if needed I'll buy a 2.5mm L power plug from maplin.

Thanks for all your help guys, most appreciated :thumbright:

Fantastic, I've just bought one of these I believe Steve (steppenwolf) recommends these on his site so that's good enough for the power, freeing up my batteries for seperate Dew heater duty which should cut down on noise for the DSLR :)

Interesting item. Would that be an alternative for powering the Nexstar 4SE, assuming a near enough mains supply?

I would have thought that one of the cigar lighter connection ones on this page would be suitable, it's got an LED on it which is useful as the halfords 12V adapter doesn't appear to have anything to indicate that its actually working :) I ordered the 5m skywatcher heq5 cable so I can run it out of the cat flap and into the mount. Get an RCD device if you're going to run mains stuff outside. I got one from tesco for £6.75.

NB:

Remember on cold winter nights any battery operates at way below normal efficiency, i found a 17aH hopelessly unsuitable for imaging in winter, lasted 3-4 hrs and then went dead...

now i;ve got a 110aH leisure battery, can run a a/c carrier off that for weeks without recharging :)

My scope arrived today, in the 2 boxes there are 2x counterweights, 1xtripod, 1xtripod spreader, 1xHEQ5 pro mount head with built in illuminated polar scope and dec counterweight rod, 1xshort dovetail bar, 1xSynscan hand controller, 1xhand controller mounting, 1x Power lead, 1x handset to mount curly cable, 1xPC (serial db9 female) to handset data cable.

All relatively simple to setup, even with the poorly written manual :)

With regard to power, I bought the 240V ac to 12V 5a dc unit from halfords, so I'm sorted for at least that, can't see me getting to a dark site any time in the near future, so my 2x7ah batteries will have to do for dew heater duty for now at home until I can afford/need something bigger.

Archived