Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using APT and PHD2 together.

I have set up my Celestron CPC 925 to guide using a Zwo ASI120mm camera and PHD2 software. In addition I use the full version of APT to control my Canon 650D.

The Zwo is connected to the PC via a USB cable and also to the Aux1 port on the mount. I would like to use plate solving with APT. Do I need another cable from the PC directly to the mount or would it be possible to use the guiding cables?

I have not yet tried the guiding system. We have had weeks of clear skies but very little darkness. We now have more darkness but also lots of clouds.

Thanks

Jack

Hi. APT plate solves images from your imaging camera, so no need to worry about the guide camera. All you need is an image in APT.

You may find a planetarium app such as cdc useful if only to visualise what's going on.

HTH 

Well, yes, it’ll plate solve... but if you’re wanting to then use the platesolves to add sync points to the mount to improve the GoTo model, or use the plate solving engine with GoTo++, THEN you’ll need an EQDir cable between computer and mount. 

So technically - it depends what you want to use plate solving for...

• to tell you what you’ve taken a photo of (blind solve, as APT won’t be able to retrieve rough co-ords from the mount) and allow you to correct the scope by hand to move you closer, or
  • to automate getting to what you want to take a photo of without you needing to touch anything.

46 minutes ago, Marci said:

Well, yes, it’ll plate solve... but if you’re wanting to then use the platesolves to add sync points to the mount to improve the GoTo model, or use the plate solving engine with GoTo++, THEN you’ll need an EQDir cable between computer and mount. 

So technically - it depends what you want to use plate solving for...

• to tell you what you’ve taken a photo of (blind solve, as APT won’t be able to retrieve rough co-ords from the mount) and allow you to correct the scope by hand to move you closer, or
  • to automate getting to what you want to take a photo of without you needing to touch anything.

Marci, Thanks for your reply.

This is exactly what I want to do, i.e. feed the results of plate solving back to the mount.

According to the Celestron website an RS232 cable connected from the serial port to the hand controller should do this. Is this what you mean by an EQDir cable?  I am using an old PC which has a serial port.

Thanks again

Jack

Sorry - didn’t spot we were talking Celestron mount. Yep, the Celestron RS232 to hand-controller cable will do the job fine. You’ll need to install ASCOM and the Celestron Nexstar ASCOM driver I think - seem to recall APT only talks ASCOM rather than each manufacturer’s native protocol (but I could be wrong).

Archived