atik 414ex struggling to reach temp

hi all just tried my setup during the day using sgp and camera set to cool to -15 and it wont image till it does ,but its only getting to -5.5 ,any one shed light on this cheers 

7 minutes ago, iwols said:

hi all just tried my setup during the day using sgp and camera set to cool to -15 and it wont image till it does ,but its only getting to -5.5 ,any one shed light on this cheers 

I think the t delta is something like -25, so given the current ambient you are probably doing well to get to -5.5.  I image at -15 all year round and my camera has a t delta of -50.

EDIT:  Sorry just read the rest of @tooth_dr's post, the t delta is -30, so -5.5 is about right for the current temperatures.

Just now, iwols said:

thanks for that guys just need to find the setting in sgp,thanks

Open your equipment profile manager, select your profile, and under the camera tab you will see the settings on the left.  You can select whether you want it to wait to reach the temperature first, but in this current heat you may be better setting it to -5 and seeing whether it tops out at that.

i believe that these cameras will cool to -20 to -25 degrees below ambient outside temperature, so if it`s +20 outside then -5 is all your going to get, in the winter months when it`s zero degrees you`ll get -20 easily.

As White Dwarf just said and I got confused about all this too in the beginning these cameras go whatever degrees it is below ambient temp. (Ambient being its surroundings)

I just received my QHY8L back today for a different fault but while it was back at the factory the guy fixing it reported that it was not cooling fast enough which I had also realised but was not 100 percent sure as I bought it 2nd hand.

Anyway the cure for this part of my problems was them putting some special silicone grease under or around the sensor (This was obviously done in the repair Lab and they placed the camera into some kind of drying out machine for a week). Im now sitting next to it in my home taking a dark library and its happily sitting at -22 degrees whereas the room is about 19 degrees so something has definatly changed as before repairs I would of struggled to get to -10 degrees in the house.

I know they are different cameras but its food for thought. Could be down the same path of something wanting resealed etc.

Is it new? is it under warranty?

Mine cost £16 to ship to HongKong £59 for repairs including shipping back.

HTH

If the 414EX is cooling to -5.5 and the ambient is mid 20's, as it has been, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cooling at all.  The 414EX has quite a small sensor, so at -30 has a slightly higher ΔT than my 460EX, which is -25.

It isn't unusual to struggle with temperatures in the height of summer.  I image in Southern Spain and this is precisely why I got the 16200, which cools to -50 ΔT so I can image at -15 all year round, no matter how warm it gets.

Archived