Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Having trables starting imaging with neximage / skyris

zxx

Hello fellow observers,

I have a neximage and skyris to try and I can't even start it.

I was looking at Saturn on opposition day and after I saw it large and beautiful in the eyepiece I inserted skyris and saw nothing aside from a white noise.

I was very disappointed and thought that it was defective.

On my next adventure I was looking at the Sun and it was large and beautiful and it was occupying 90% of the view in my eyepiece. The telescope was tracking it nicely.

Again I put a cam, this time it was NexImage and again I saw just a white noise. Please find attached a photo of what I saw.

I realized I don't understand something. Please help me to make some progress on this.

What I don't understand is there is no eyepiece so what is the magnification (I'm not even sure that is the right term in this context)?

I noticed that when I switch eyepieces I have to focus again and I also need to actually move the scope a bit as well. Could that be an issue?

Thank you,

Denis

should-be-sun.bmp

Welcome

I think your camera is fine as it is seeing something even if it is a large white blob. The camera won't reach focus on the same place as the eyepiece that you had been using. When you switch to your camera you'll need to work the focuser all the way in and then all the way out to find where the focus spot is. 

Try testing the cameras out in the daytime in your scope on some distant objects it you can. You will have to adjust exposure/gain etc to get a correct image and not overblown, plus you’ll find that focus points from an EP to a camera are quite different, so you will have to refocus with the camera in place by quite a bit to also achieve correct focus. Sharpcap or FireCapture software should allow you to adjust exposure/gain down enough to use in the daytime.

Archived