Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Patbloke

A Night Of Cygnus Doubles + Jupiter

All set up to go with the sole aim of getting some Saturn images!

To start off it was Jupes again to get some imaging done... The GRS superbly placed and looking Redder than a lidl tomato (subliminal advertising)

After capturing some film it was time to properly align using Polaris and that wonderful on ya knees polar scope method!!! Boom!! three calibration stars and 'GoTo' whatever you wish for!

Cygnus time - Check sheets and then give up and go and fetch Sissy Haas bible... 

20 lovely doubles, not rushed just enjoyed and studied hard... working with my Starwave f/11 102 and for those difficult ones a 6.5 Meade HD and even with the 2.5 Revelation Barlow gave interesting views... 200x the recommended max mag on that Starwave, I squeezed more than that out of her. 

The stars looked round and colourful the companions sometimes hard to spot... But there's a great deal of satisfaction when you see them close by. 

I made some star symbol notes in the book when a true double of beauty made me smile, my top few were: 

Σ 2668  Superb

26 Gyg  lovely

17 Cyg  

19 Cyg  Bright Red

Ψ Cyg 

Σ 2687  Sharp

49 Cyg  Faint

48 Cyg  Wide

H IV 113  Spot on (why did I write that?)

61 Cyg  Nice

Also - Σ 2760, 59 Cyg, 52 Cyg, O Σ 410, Σ 2705, Σ 2588, S 726, Σ 2578, 16 Cyg, δ Cyg

So that's my haul for the night... By the time I had finished those it was 01:30 and cloud had covered what was left of Saturn. The great thing about that session was that I didn't have those long whiney scope movements around the sky, it was all within the constellation. I expect my neighbours with open windows were also grateful. 

Love that 102 f/11 Starwave scope.... A lot of the comments in Sissy Haas recommend a 150mm for some of the hits I made with my 102 so I'm happy... to get the colour is special as well... Not sure my alignment was that great because after entering RA & Dec the doubles were not always centered which resulted in me having to move towards the nearest double looking star a lot of the times.

Didn't get -19 Cyg or T Cyg although I tried... 

Oh and on editing my images I notice I bagged both Europa and Io.... shame Jupiter disappeared behind next doors roof before the shadow made a transit! I've had to lighten one image to show the moons so beware you professionals 🙂

22_21_12b2Moons.jpg

22_21_12SGL.jpg

• Like 6

Great report and Jupiter image.... 

• Like 1

I was planning on doing Cygnus doubles last night but had problems with the mount was only able to see β Cygni, 17 Cygni and δ Cygni this was before the mount decided it did not want to point where I told it.🤬

Some great doubles there I will be copying some of those thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Get yourself one of these I dont have to get on my knees now to Polar align brilliant.

Thanks for that Wookie, I did research these a while ago but never ended up taking the plunge.... As I've got much better at alignment, and actually re centered my polar scope not so long ago, I do quite like the effort of 'using the cushion' as I call it to align... I've not got the greatest of knees but whilst I'm still able I'll persevere for now 🙂

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone,
      One and a half clear nights for me early in the year and I focused on M45. As a naked eye visible target, I think subconsciously I never gave M45 the concentration it deserves, thinking I could always catch it another time.
      Anyway, despite lusting after the Horsehead, I kept my refractor pointed at the seven sisters in new moon skies and the result is below.
      I actually found it pretty hard to process...the seven sisters themselves were pretty well behaved, but I couldn't decide what to do with the background. I know this is a dusty region so I did not want to put DBE samples everywhere. But at the end the background seems a bit smudgy after tweaking curves - I'm not sure whether to darken the background or leave it as is.
      3.4 hours of LRGB integration. Full details on Astrobin.
      Thanks for looking!

• By floastro
      Hi all,
      This is my first shots of Saturn and Jupiter taken the last summer with my new ZWO ASI178MC.
      Equipment :
      -Sky-Watcher Maksutov-Cassegrain Ø150mm /1800mm
      -Sky-Watcher NEQ5 PRO Goto mount
      -ZWO ASI178MC camera
      -ZWO ADC corrector
      -Pierro-Astro electric Focuser Focus v2 controlled by the PC station in ASCOM.
      -Imaging Software : FireCapture
      -Integration Software : Autostakker 3
      -Processing Softwares : PRISM v10 / Registax 6 / PhotoShop CS6 / Lightroom 6
      - Wide Gammut Monitor for processing : NEC SpectraView Reference 272 (27") calibrated with x-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter

Saturn :
      Sequence of 11,000 images.
      8,800 added with a sub-exposure of 88ms/image.
      Focal length : 1800mm

Jupiter :
      Sequence of 6,000 images. 4,800 images added.
      The exposure time for each image : 40.7ms.
      Focal length : 1800mm

• By Lonestar2123
      Hello. I am using a Orion xt8 reflector telescope. I am wondering what optic / eyepiece set up I should be using for a mix of DSO and planets. I have a couple pictures which I have taken with honestly my cell phone on one of those (Omi cellphone adaptors for telescope) and they pictures don't come out to bad... but I am looking for something that I can actually put into the eye piece that will give decent looking pictures, or even one that I can hook up to my computer and look through it live. Price really is not the biggest issue but not really looking for something over $400. I know there might not be such a thing as I am describing. most of these pictures were taken with a 2x barlow and a 20mm The ones of mars I just took with a 5x barlo and the same 20mm. and I am unsure what this star formation I took a picture of is but It looked pretty cool and I am glad that I was able to take a picture of it.. But just looking for some help choosing what camera would be best.  (Obviously using the phone camera the objects appear so bright and there is no way to pull the actual detail of the planet into focus for me) But any help would be great :) Thank you for any feedback you have and I cant wait to become more active on this forum!

• By Peart
      Hi All,
      So I am new to astrophotography and was looking for some advice on what to buy, mainly the mount as I don't have a huge budget.
      I am currently using a SkyWatcher 102mm Telescope (500mm Focal Length) with a Canon 550d along with a EQ2 mount, so no motors as of yet.
      Any advice on what mounts to get would be great.
      Thanks
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Last night I got outside early to grab a chance to observe 3 major planets: Jupiter - could make out little in the twilight with the 127mm Mak.  Saturn - seeing still poor - I imaged it but the result is not worth showing.
      Mars later on was better - its apparent size has shrunk, but this was the first time this year I have had a result with Syrtis Major facing the Earth. Syrtis Major, the bright area of Hellas and the south polar cap can all be made out in the image.  Altitude of Mars was about 11deg - note that the southerly declination is decreasing as it moves North - quite significant if it is roof skimming as here.
      Imaged with C8 SE, ASI120MC, ADC, processed in Registax6.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.