All Sky Camera & Lens Setup

f4te

I know there's a few all sky camera posts on here, I've read through a lot of them and I feel like I'm going around in circles! Hopefully someone's able to help me get a few things sorted...

Firstly my aim for this project is to be able to view clouds, both night and day, all over the sky. Right now I'm stuck trying to pick what camera & lens to use. I'll be using a Raspberry Pi for controlling it all with Thomas Jacquin's code (which I'm assuming I can get working for daytime observations).

My plan was to use a ASI290MC because it has very good IR sensitivity so should be ideal for picking up clouds at night. I was going to pair this with a Arecont Vision MPL1.55 lens (was recommended). Then I started looking at optical format/sensor sizes - the lens is 1/2" but the camera is only 1/3", which means it will chop off part of the image, right? So that means I need to change my camera, or lens (or both)?

For cameras, none seem to have as good IR sensitivity. People seem to favour the ASI385MC or ASI178MC though, both of which have a larger than 1/2" sensor.

For lenses, I'm not too sure on. Would something like this work well? http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/qhy-accessories/all-sky-lens-for-qhy5l-ii-cameras/

Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't know if this helps you but I have the Arecont Vision MPL1.55 lens and I use it with an ASI 120mm which has a slightly smaller sensor diagonal size (6.0mm v 6.45mm) than the ASI 290mc that you mention and I get a lovely 180 degree view

Video here.

The Arecont lens is really good.

I put together a skycam system using a Imaging Source DMK41au02 mono CCD... it's not IR blocked and so quite IR sensitive... for the lens, I got a c-mount lens from eBay... works great, definitely allows me to keep on the sky conditions during my imaging sessions.

10 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

Steve 

Where did you get your lens from?

I'd love to be able to help you but I got this as a special favour from an old business contact in the 'security' sector and I can't get another one. I really struggled to find one in the UK. Sadly, I could only find US suppliers of this excellent lens. Sorry I couldn't help further.

If you really want one of the Arecont lenses, they can be bought from the US directly e.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872528-REG/Arecont_Vision_mpl1_55_1_55Mm_1_2_F2_0_Fixed.html and https://www.123securityproducts.com/mpl1-55.html but you run the risk of import charges...

There are UK based companies that will supply, but they like to sell to security companies etc. and\or want minimum order of 10.....

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

There are UK based companies that will supply, but they like to sell to security companies etc. and\or want minimum order of 10.....

This was exactly what I found but I had a one-chance slot at getting one!

Archived