Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Even more Ethos,s

It's alright Brian, I do :)

... I find the 8mm's fantastic for solar too, can still see the whole disc of the sun + prominances at reasonable (75x) magnification. Can't say either of the new additions strike me as as must-haves, i'm waiting on one in the 22-24mm range :undecided:

Hi daneel

I have just recently done a UK & USA price comparison on the Ethos range of eyepieces.

It was quite an eye opener if you excuse the pun.

The uk dealers are all over the place with thier prices.

One dealer is selling his "Ethos range" considerably cheaper than the rest of the UK dealers (anything between £30 & £40 per eyepiece cheaper)

The USA are only £20 to £30 cheaper than the best UK price.

THE EXAMPLE USED WAS THE 13mm ETHOS

After tax and customs charges it would be cheaper buying from the UK as it stands just now...

After tax and customs charges it would be cheaper buying from the UK as it stands just now...

Looking around i have found that with a lot of items. On the whole there is very little reason to buy from the States atm. The Orion UltraBlock filter i just bought is a prime example. Even before tax and import duty it was only £2 more than the US price.

If you had to buy one of these eyepieces which one would it be?

If i was going to replace my 16T5, then it would be with the 13mm Ethos. Seems to me like the perfect combo of magnification and FOV. I think that was why it was the first released, TV knew that was a perfect workhorse focal length.

Russ

Looking around i have found that with a lot of items. On the whole there is very little reason to buy from the States atm. The Orion UltraBlock filter i just bought is a prime example. Even before tax and import duty it was only £2 more than the US price.

Me too. Not universally true, but as far as I can tell the gap has narrowed very considerably in recent times. Partly the decline of the pound against the dollar (something like $1.75 vs. $2 a few months back) but UK dealers seem to have got cheaper too.

Some of the UK dealers have really sharpened up their act and their prices are very competitive with the US. Although there are still some that are grossly overpriced, selling things for more than the $ price. They should be ashamed.

Russ

If i was going to replace my 16T5, then it would be with the 13mm Ethos. Seems to me like the perfect combo of magnification and FOV. I think that was why it was the first released, TV knew that was a perfect workhorse focal length.

I'm thinking the same Russ - if the used marked was not so depressed I'd sell my 13mm T6 and 16mm T5 and get an Ethos 13mm.

John

The main problem is that the Naglers are not selling for so much these days but the Ethos still commands a high secondhand value. Although your two Naglers John should be worth £300-330 i would have thought? And a secondhand Ethos (if one exists?) no more than £300 seeing they are only £380 new.

My problem is i don't have 13T6 as well or else it would sound like a perfectly hatched plan.

Russ

Archived