Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific extenders

Do Explore Scientific extenders work with Newtonians as well as refractors? 

My main use though would be with 2 inch eyepieces, between an ep and 2 inch diagonal on my TV petzval refractor.

Tele Vue do not recommend using their Big Barlow with a diagonal, so would the ES extender work? They are cheaper and look shorter than the greatly more expensive Powermates.   

Richard 

In 1.25” format we have the 2x and the 3x ES Focal Extender. We also have a 2” 2x. 

I have used all of them, without issues, in our refractors and Dobs. 

The 1.25” are used if we’re traveling light overseas with the 130P. The 2” is the one used in the 14” and the ED120...

If there’s anything further, just ask and I’ll test if I don’t know the answer...

I have used the 2x 1.25" ES Focal Extender and it seemed to work very well in refractors and my dobsonian. Very similar to a TV Powermate but at quite a bit less cost.

32 minutes ago, 25585 said:

That's it. I have my Zeiss Abbe 2× for 1.25, but need an as-good 2 inch. For refractors I presume it's OK with all diagonals, prism and mirror, unlike the TV Barlow?   

I think they work with all scope types. Similar to Powermates in that they have little or no impact on the focal position and don't shift the eye relief outwards. Unless you are looking for that latter feature ?

Archived