Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eqmod and sgpro

The last few nights I have had a few problems with my mount (heq5 pier mount). I start eqmod and cdc and sgpro and pick a target  then slew to it and run a sequence, but the last two times I have woken at 3 to find the mount stopped but the motors still going ( Like its hitting something and cant move) I have checked that no leads are tangled and its not hitting anything but did notice eqmod is disconnected (timeout error). I am a bit suspect of the battery  but it shows fully charged on the battery charger at the beginning of the night. Also I have a mains lead for the mount but this very rarely works (wont connect) which I always find strange as i keep thinking there should be more power coming from a mains than a battery (im hopeless with electrics). I was thinking of buying a dedicated astronomy power cable to see if that would improve things, In the meantime im still scratching my head but I thought occured to me if I have limits set on eqmod and i tell sgpro to park to home at end of sequence would there be conflict I.E one programme trying to overide the other? I am waiting for my mount to be sent off for a complete overhaul ready for the darker nights but would like to sort this out with the power while nights are still short

I had the similar problem, but it happened while I was still near the mount, so I have not noticed if motors were still trying to slew as in next 5 sec I found my Mount USB cable was loosely connected to the USB hub I use.
I do not know why, but my mount Serial to USB cable is always quite loose (maybe USB connector is a bit slimmer, - no idea), - so used universal solution of XX and even of  XXI century, - taped it properly to the hub.

This happens to me when I lose connection either power or eqdir lead. Buy some amalgamating tape . Use it to fix your power supply on the mount to the screw in connection for you handset or eqdir cable. I find it better than other tape as it is rubber based and has some give.

Mark.

I was using a sort of blue tack type putty, I have solved the mount "sticking" problem The alt belt had snapped, which if im honest ha only confused me more now as it must have gone the first night so dont know how an earth I managed to get my sequence 80% done on both nights. I have just put on a new belt and it works fine (still going off for a service though) as I think in my case its worth it and is 10 yrs old

Archived