Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sadr and the Crescent... Stormy skies!

My first contribution for a couple of months. I thought I had hung my gear up till the longer nights but thought I would give it a go anyway!

This is the 100D with Star 71 and Ha 12nm clip filter. 22 X 12.5 min subs (4.5 hrs) imaged over two nights with 100% moon (low in sky).  No astro dark here for a while yet, thank goodness for Ha. Flats and bias used, stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

A brooding bit of sky...

821929008_SadrandCrescentfinal.thumb.png.3f63b752c76e7054f4b882307b7f6972.png

1 hour ago, MartinFransson said:

Looks very good considering the circumstances! How low was the sun when you were imaging? 

We have nautical dark here for a few hours, but no Astro dark at this time of the year. The moon was about 20 degrees last night

I think it looks great--I bet if you pile on the data it will only improve.    It would be interesting to compare your nautical dark with my astro dark.  Even when it is as dark as it gets here--it really is not very dark ( as far as the sky goes).  Maybe the median values will tell us...what is the median value for one of your subs for this image taken at the darkest part of the night with no clouds (or haze)?:

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I think it looks great--I bet if you pile on the data it will only improve.    It would be interesting to compare your nautical dark with my astro dark.  Even when it is as dark as it gets here--it really is not very dark ( as far as the sky goes).  Maybe the median values will tell us...what is the median value for one of your subs for this image taken at the darkest part of the night with no clouds (or haze)?:

Rodd

The RGB median value for the entire image is 8. No idea what that means though! ?

4 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Don't forget to take the bhatinov off when you get back to it. Here is three hours of mush!

FB_IMG_1530470909428.thumb.jpg.2eef636b3f10a367a075b35aa776ca5b.jpg

Yes, I have a few of those star spikes as well, but maybe not 3 hours worth. Otoh, I do have one night of images where I should have used the mask and didn't.

10 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

The RGB median value for the entire image is 8. No idea what that means though!

Well--my median value for my recently obtained Ha subs is around 85.  Not sure the 2 numbers are reporting the same thing though.   This value is from Pixinsight's Sub Frame Selector

Rodd

15 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Don't forget to take the bhatinov off when you get back to it. Here is three hours of mush!

FB_IMG_1530470909428.thumb.jpg.2eef636b3f10a367a075b35aa776ca5b.jpg

Yeah, been there, done that :D. I think your focus was a bit off, judging by the off-centre spike.

Archived