Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't believe I waited 38 years to see Saturn

2Karl

Yeah It's true. In all my years, all the times I've had access to telescopes, I never once pointed those things at the ringed planet. Well, driving home from Milton Keynes last night there were road closures, and the resultant detours caused me to get home later than I had planned. I noticed Saturn was in a decent position for observation, and the seeing was good (even if the sky was a little light), so instead of going to bed, I did something I never have. I looked at the ringed planet.

Using my 9mm eyepiece (the most powerful one I currently have), I wasn't expecting anything too radical - I'd be happy if I saw "ears" - but there he was in all his resplendent ringed glory, flanked by Titan and Rhea, and a fancied I could just make out Hyperion if I didn't look directly at it. 

In retrospect, I'm almost glad I waited this long before looking at Saturn. My age, experience and world-weariness allowed me to appreciate the majesty is a different way to how I might have reacted as a wayward teenager, and has left me with a thirst for more (incidentally I was recently contacted by an academic exam board to take part in a focus group, for which they'd pay me £75. That would buy me a half decent barlow...)

Congratulations! It must be wonderful to be surprised like that after all those years. Saturn is a lovely sight, even at modest magnifications. I remember my first view of Saturn a few years ago, I too was really surprised how well the rings were visible and how many moons could easily be spotted.

Great stuff! I haven't managed to see Saturn with my new 12 inch Dob yet, it is low in the east until after midnight here and obscured by trees, and is right next to the full moon currently. Hoping to view it in a week or two when it rises higher earlier, and hopefully have my new ES 4.7mm 82 degrees eyepiece by then!

Archived